What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

13 hours ago, Coop said:

I’ll never bitch about our summer temps here, again. (Until maybe August)

I'll take -29C over 100F plus humidity.... I have nice cold weather gear that makes those temps manageable. 100F with humidity the only fix is lock yourself inside with AC. Luckily we get both here in Minnesota!

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, drzaius said:

-29C this morning and -37C forecast for tomorrow night. Brrrr...

edit: new updated forecast calls for -40 tomorrow night. -40 is where F and C meet.

Please tell me those are "wind chill" temperatures!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, drzaius said:

No, not "wind chill" numbers. -39 this morning :ph34r:

To me, that's unimaginable, and unmanageable, even though I see the emoji is wearing a balaclava. 

You must have one heck of a furnace. 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Ron Swanson Jr. said:

Where you at, @drzaius?

Here in MN it's going to get cold but nowhere near THAT cold! 

Calgary Alberta. This is extremely cold for us with normal temps being a few degrees below freezing at this time of year. Blame the polar vortex.

• Like 2

It's been so warm here lately that even the 30's seem cold. Looks like we could get snow on Tuesday. Hopefully the kids can go to school because I'm on an all day call and my wife will be traveling for work.

Hoping today I can call an insulation company to come look at my daughter's room. It will drop almost 10* compared to the rest of our house at night when it's in the 30s. When it gets to the teens she might have to sleep in our room or I'll buy a space heater.

On 1/10/2024 at 10:20 PM, Coop said:

I’m sure my health stats crater every time my tomatoes come into season as my favorite meal is a bologna sandwich with fresh tomatoes, lettuce and sandwich spread on white bread! 

Have you ever eaten a plain tomato sandwich? I remember my mom and Uncle's eating them as a kid when my Uncle's tomatoes were ripe. I think it was just plain white bread with a thick slice of tomato and salt/pepper. Seemed gross to a little kid who didn't like tomatoes. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ron Swanson Jr. said:

Here in MN it's going to get cold but nowhere near THAT cold! 

Yet, I've been ice fishing during -40 temps. It could be that 2 weeks from now. Luckily the hard winter is almost over 7 more weeks to get through February and then negative temps should be behind us.

Bought our first hay of the season this morning.  Usually we start feeding hay around Thanksgiving.  They've gotten by fine on dormant Bermuda until now, but even though they were still grazing, there is not much left out there for them.  They were glad to get the hay.  It was the first time I've ever had to pay over 20 bucks, or even close, for a bale of hay.

Timothy/Orchard mix was $20.99 for about a 60 pound bale.  I don't think they will need but about four bales each until the grass starts growing again, so this will still be the cheapest feeding season ever.  

My pasture management has finally gotten to the point that it's paying off, along with a little help from climate change.  Last year they were well down in bale numbers to 9 each.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2024 at 7:57 AM, Chestnut said:

I'll take -29C over 100F plus humidity.... I have nice cold weather gear that makes those temps manageable. 100F with humidity the only fix is lock yourself inside with AC. Luckily we get both here in Minnesota!

Totally agree!!

On 1/12/2024 at 3:23 PM, roughsawn said:

OMG!!! That's higher than a giraffe's a**!!! $6-$7 here for 55# bale of alfalfa. 1/2 that for grass hay. 

Good horse hay can't be grown on this side of the Blue Ridge so most of the cost is shipping and handling.  Local grown kinds of hay are a lot cheaper but it won't keep weight on our horses.

Ahh guys can we please have our snow back??? We Minnesotan's know how to move it, drive in it (well most of us anyways) and it really hurts our economy to be in mid January with like 3" of snow. We did finally get cold so at least folks can go ice fishing finally...

FWIW just got our heat bill for Dec it was about 40% of last years...Avg temp for the month in 2024 29 degrees, last year 15 degrees. Crazy!!

• Like 2

Sure. I'll go turn a fan on and see if the 1-2" of snow that's coming tomorrow here will go up there. Doubtful the kids will have school tomorrow. Schools around here are based on the county, not local town, so if the other end of the county gets a lot of snow we could be off even if we have nothing.

This will be the first time in a long time I can remember that we'll get a second round of snow without the last having already melted away.

• Haha 1