What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

On 3/5/2024 at 8:48 PM, Coop said:

Tom, I’m sure it goes without saying but is this in your tool arsenal? 
63420_W3.jpg

Since I was replacing the tie rods and didn't care about damaging the old ones, I used a three pound hammer to hit the rod end bolt right on the end of the bolt.  They came right out.  I have needed to use a fork on tractor tie rods.

I bolted on the aluminum angles to set the toe in by, but measuring the tie rods that I took out with a framing square from the big inboard end to the center of the grease fitting, eyeballing it parallel to the threaded rod on the tie rod, and putting the new ones in with the same measuring method, I didn't have to touch any toe in adjustment.

On 3/5/2024 at 9:28 PM, Coop said:

I started to ride the neighbor’s kid’s skateboard the other day and decided not to for the same reason. I’m no taller now than when I was 18 yo but the ground seems a lot further away and harder! 

Same with riding horses.  The ground is a lot harder than it used to be.

Normally, I do that too.  Thinking that this was such a simple job, I didn't do any planning ahead.  The tie rods in it were slightly larger than stock.  The newest ones were a Lot larger than stock.  The outer end nuts had to be the same, but all the inboard ends were larger and larger than stock anyway.  

It had been long enough ago when I put the last ones in that I not only forgot what size they were, but whether they were SAE or Metric.  As it turned out, I couldn't get enough leverage to break them loose anyway, so ended up using a pipe wrench pushed on with my foot.  For the second side I used the pipe wrench to start with, and broke the outer ends loose from the outside.  The new ones went right in after adjusting them for length to match the old ones.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2024 at 4:46 PM, Tom King said:

I still like that they drive like a car though, and when this one wears out, will get another one.

Yeah i hear that my Jeep has a solid front axel. Last night i was driving back from the airport and the wind was variable. That combined with the solid axel left me doing a lot of steering input.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2024 at 9:44 AM, Chestnut said:

Yeah i hear that my Jeep has a solid front axel. Last night i was driving back from the airport and the wind was variable. That combined with the solid axel left me doing a lot of steering input.

Your Jeep has a 44" longer wheelbase than my 1998 Wrangler. Wind was always a fun time.

I need to go test drive a Gladiator to see how it compares to my old Jeep.

On 3/3/2024 at 2:55 PM, Chestnut said:

Did some milling. Got the boxelder i cut down a couple weeks ago slabbed and stacked. My cousin came to borrow a pole saw and i told him he should give the saw a run. I told him "its not every day you get to run a 90cc chain saw." He we shocked at the displacement and responded "my first dirt bike was only 50cc and it was a blast." Here is a video and some pictures i took.

0302241333.thumb.jpg.48e58f53b441c8548507fb9604475853.jpg

0301241424.thumb.jpg.1c4e154e701ace48010778a2e67e20e5.jpg

0302241537_HDR.thumb.jpg.b198bfcd7dc6b829cd68670424e3c7c5.jpg

Thanks a lot for that video!

On 3/8/2024 at 11:04 AM, legenddc said:

Your Jeep has a 44" longer wheelbase than my 1998 Wrangler. Wind was always a fun time.

I need to go test drive a Gladiator to see how it compares to my old Jeep.

It doesn't this thing drives smooth like butter. The long wheel base and better suspension is huge.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2024 at 6:20 PM, JohnG said:

Cleared all of the junk off my tools and  coated my cast iron surfaces

IMG_3914.thumb.jpeg.a587dd2e62c6973f4d4debc995db993d.jpegIMG_3916.thumb.jpeg.91aa5929c2769d141570200f29d6cdf1.jpeg

John, how much top do you have to the right of the blade? And I guess the fence will go all the way to the right side of the router table? That’s sweet! 

Hey @Coop it’s the 36” rip SS, but with the right side router table there is about 46” of cast iron from the blade to the edge. The pic might make it look longer, but I think the TS capacity is still around 36” on the right side, but maybe a bit more than without the RT.

The SS RT came with another fence that has dust collection in the center, you can see the slots for it, but you also could use the TS fence for the RT.

I keep the RT fence connected to a hose and sitting on a little box just to the side of the table (to the right in the pic above). That keeps the surface clear but easy to pop it on and open the RT blast gate when I use the RT. The one blast gate opens up both the fence DC and the under table DC.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tom King said:

Long day whelping puppies today.  First time Mom had a bit of a hard time, but didn't lose a puppy and all five healthy and strong.

Did you have to do anything special to help the process along?