What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

Yes, I forgot about the Stihl one.  That one is gas powered from 1999 and still works like a champ, but it will only go so high.

For the manual saw that I need to go higher, I use the separate poles that you plug together for as high as you need to go or can handle.  I had to go to lightweight poles to be able to use a 24' long one.

My most used one is an 18v Ryobi that comes apart and stays in the toolbox on my truck.

With Pine trees, when lower limbs are gone they never grow more down low.  With hardwoods like Oaks, if sunlight hits the trunk it's going to grow new limbs.  Keeping the Oaks on our point limbed up so you can see the lake through them is a yearly job, or every other year at least.

When I win the lottery, I'm buying one of these:

• Like 2

Grader stopped by today to flag off where he’s clearing and grading for me. He’s also trenching from my carport subpanel, up by the well head, and then up to our top field where our orchard, chicken coop, greenhouse, and veggie garden are. Soon I’ll have power and running water up there! No more toting 55gal barrels of water back and forth.

• Like 1

Running water is a wonderful thing.   I don't know how many hydrants we have here now.  We have some Woodford Y's and some W's.  Get the Y.  Forget the W.  

I've done a number of different things to avoid setting the hydrant in concrete, but have finally decided I made a mistake all those times.  I should have set them all in concrete at the top of the ground.

I never had to work on or replace the bottom end of one and there are a number that have been in the ground here for 44 years.  You can take the whole guts out of one just by screwing the top off, and that gives access to all the parts that need to be replaced.  I could pull one up concrete and all if I needed to, but have never needed to.  Be sure to leave plenty of clearance to be able to screw the top off.

If you need to run a water line under anything, I have a 28' long drill bit you're welcome to borrow.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2024 at 8:25 PM, Tom King said:

Running water is a wonderful thing.   I don't know how many hydrants we have here now.  We have some Woodford Y's and some W's.  Get the Y.  Forget the W.  

I've done a number of different things to avoid setting the hydrant in concrete, but have finally decided I made a mistake all those times.  I should have set them all in concrete at the top of the ground.

I never had to work on or replace the bottom end of one and there are a number that have been in the ground here for 44 years.  You can take the whole guts out of one just by screwing the top off, and that gives access to all the parts that need to be replaced.  I could pull one up concrete and all if I needed to, but have never needed to.  Be sure to leave plenty of clearance to be able to screw the top off.

If you need to run a water line under anything, I have a 28' long drill bit you're welcome to borrow.

Thanks Tom. My well guy said they go ahead and set hydrants in concrete, too. Will check out the Woodford Y. This run is just through the woods, but I’ll remember that if we run another line in the future!