What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

In case anyone wondered what the life expectancy of pvc plumbing is, I can verify that 30 years is about it. What should have been a simple leak repair turned into 4 days of driving to the park for a restroom, a new washing machine, a new toilet, 2 new shower valves, and an entire new water supply with PEX. The bright side is that my wallet requires far less effort to lift, now. :angry:

• Sad 7

@Mark J, the CPVC hot water lines become brittle with age and repeated thermal cycling. In my case, a musty smell that we couldn't isolate from inside led to calling the plumber. At the time, I had a virus and was strongly encouraged to stay out of the crawl space. He found multiple glue joints that were seeping, one was dripping onto the insulation around an HVAC duct, which caused the smell. The pipes were so brittle that he recommended a complete re-piping. Also had to replace some of the HVAC duct to eliminate the mildew.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

On 3/24/2024 at 12:30 PM, drzaius said:

Mine turned 32 this year :(

Any issues? Though from talking to a couple plumbers I know around here, the main issue with PB plumbing was the plastic fittings. We only have two fittings that are plastic (and luckily easily accessible if they ever fail).

I’ve spliced into the PB piping in a few places and it hasn’t been brittle or fragile at all, so I’m not too worried about it right now. 

I think the main trouble with PB was putting female fittings too close to the water heater.  I have one house I put it in.  I never used female plastic threaded fittings for anything anywhere.  I think it was built in 1993 but the dates all get jumbled up in my memory.  That house was resold not long ago for something around a million.  I'm sure I sold it for well less than 300.

I did a number of houses with CPVC, including redoing this one we live in, for some years after having issues with acidic ground water and copper pipes.  I don't remember when I stopped using it, but never heard anything about any problems with it.  I know the copper topped house I built in 1991 still has it.  We were in that one not too long ago.  

I can't remember when I switched to PEX.

In my houses, all the pipes of any kind were all fully supported on horizontal runs and sloped so the whole house could drain down with no water left in the pipes.  Most were just bought as vacation homes and no real need to keep heat in them over the Winter other than for water in pipes.  All plumbing was accessible too with usually unfinished utility rooms under bathrooms and kitchen since all had daylight basements on sloping waterfront lots.  All supply lines went up through the floor rather than being closed into walls.

I never got called to fix any plumbing, but have been thanked quite a number of times for making it all easily accessible.

The copper problem was in our personal house, which for over 25 years has been the only one on well water.  All the others were changed to county water when the first water pump played out.  No issues with pipes on county water, but we like the well water.

• Like 1

You guys should also consider that I may have just been taken to the cleaner's, since I was not able to go under and verify things for myself. Not saying I suspect that, but anything is possible.

Tom's right on about supply lines through the floor. When we built our house I was able to design the pipe rough-in to avoid being in the walls except for the clothes washer and one shower. Those were the drywall repairs I had to make after the plumbers left. Everything else dropped right through the floor holes.

• Like 2

Another good reason to prefer supplies come through the floor rather than the wall is to keep the pipes from freezing.  After our in the wall kitchen pipes froze we rerouted the supplies to come through the floor into the undersink cabinet.  No more problems. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JohnG said:

Any issues? Though from talking to a couple plumbers I know around here, the main issue with PB plumbing was the plastic fittings. We only have two fittings that are plastic (and luckily easily accessible if they ever fail).

I’ve spliced into the PB piping in a few places and it hasn’t been brittle or fragile at all, so I’m not too worried about it right now. 

None at all. I keep a good eye on it for signs of stress. We have no fittings between the manifold in the basement and the final connection at the tap, so there's that. I'm planning on changing it all out when we do a major bathroom reno next year.

10 hours ago, Mark J said:

Another good reason to prefer supplies come through the floor rather than the wall is to keep the pipes from freezing.  

Good point. I failed to mention the 2 walls I did have pipes in were interior walls, not exterior. Even here in the sunny South,freezing pipes are a yearly risk.