What did you do today?

new2woodwrk

On 1/18/2024 at 7:33 AM, pkinneb said:

and it really hurts our economy to be in mid January with like 3" of snow.

Nailed it. My buddy drives a plow truck. His boss bought 20 brand new F250 Super Dutys for this year. Each one has about a $700 monthly payment, or that's what he's saying anyhow. 

So there's one healthy business that might be a causality of this warm winter. 

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, Ron Swanson Jr. said:

Nailed it. My buddy drives a plow truck. His boss bought 20 brand new F250 Super Dutys for this year. Each one has about a $700 monthly payment, or that's what he's saying anyhow. 

So there's one healthy business that might be a causality of this warm winter. 

I feel like the smarter snow removal businesses charge some sort of rate regardless of if they remove snow or not. Like $xx monthly and than $YYY per snow removal where $YYY is lower than if they didn't charge a monthly service fee. I'm not sure though haven't dug into their service models.

• Like 1

Every body I've pulled out of a ditch here was from up North somewhere.  They always say that people down here don't know how to drive in the snow.  The trouble here is that there is almost always a layer of ice on the road under the ice.  Snow won't stick if the ground isn't frozen and first participation is usually rain which freezes on the ground.

Snow is not hard to drive on.  Ice can be challenging.

People down here know to wait when it's like that.  We don't usually have to wait but a day or so.

• Like 2

On 1/18/2024 at 12:57 PM, Chestnut said:

I feel like the smarter snow removal businesses charge some sort of rate regardless of if they remove snow or not. Like $xx monthly and than $YYY per snow removal where $YYY is lower than if they didn't charge a monthly service fee. I'm not sure though haven't dug into their service models.

When I plowed for my FIL, many many years ago, he billed about 40% at flat rate and the remainder at actual. Down winters he made enough to keep the lights on but in heavy winters he didn't get caught short it was aa real balancing act. Not sure what they do now days.

15 hours ago, Tom King said:

Every body I've pulled out of a ditch here was from up North somewhere.  They always say that people down here don't know how to drive in the snow.  The trouble here is that there is almost always a layer of ice on the road under the ice.  Snow won't stick if the ground isn't frozen and first participation is usually rain which freezes on the ground.

Snow is not hard to drive on.  Ice can be challenging.

People down here know to wait when it's like that.  We don't usually have to wait but a day or so.

Very good point, Tom.

On 1/19/2024 at 7:46 AM, gee-dub said:

*** NOTE *** I'm a native.  I get to talk smack about my fellow Californio-goof-balls without it being mean or inappropriate ;)

I am not native but have lived here since 67'.  I tell people that driving in California is like a game show.  You have to try and guess what unexpected things the drivers around you are going to do.  Dash Cams are you friends.

• Like 1

When I lived in SoCal, my 17 mile commute would take about 1.5-2hours if there was any rain due to all of the accidents. There would be a minimum of 1 car upside down along my route, with many fender benders as well. I’d always laugh when the radio traffic report would just say, “Too many to list.”

Glad to be out of there. 

• Sad 1

I made sure my SawStop is working properly. Forgot I had moved my miter gauge and ran it straight into the blade. It only just got through the anodizing. Took me a minute to figure out what had happened!

IMG_3420.thumb.jpeg.c3ef0a336bfe636658f8229de1ad5ab2.jpeg

• Sad 8

I don’t really care about the loss of it. I had a spare cartridge on hand I’ve been looking for an excuse to replace that blade. :P

It was a good reminder about habits and assumptions. While my hands/arms were at a safe distance the whole time, a similar set of events could have led to an injury.

I’m making a small sled for kumiko, and had moved my miter gauge to the right slot to get an idea of sled size and position. I did a few other things, and then came back to the TS to crosscut the piece for the miter bars, saw my miter fence that I always use and that always clears the blade, slapped the piece down and ran the middle of my miter gauge straight into the blade. Had the SS not triggered, I would have a slot cut through my miter gauge. 

• Like 1

I can see myself doing that when taking the Incra miter gauge off of the Incra miter express. For those not familiar the miter express shifts the miter slot over to the left some. 

Yesterday we had a record high of 71* in DC. I of course had picked that day to have the oven on the entire day making a pork shoulder for tacos. Dinner was delicious though!

I took advantage of the warm weather and cleaned out my car interior for an hour and also installed some new weatherstripping on part of our front door. A few screws were loose in the door and storm door that got tightened. 

• Like 2

Took another stab at the small bandsaw DC.  It is still not quite there . . . I cobble some plywood scrap and some magnets to make a shroud to replace the current focused nozzle.

SmallBSDCRetrofit(1).thumb.jpg.4e5e5787ab3e1e9ddd7e724e0156b44e.jpg

It will surround the lower guides.

SmallBSDCRetrofit(2).thumb.jpg.3a1ea4483b277b605431e26d5625e9e5.jpg

SmallBSDCRetrofit(3).thumb.jpg.ff0663757be0965aad5409ab9bd048e8.jpg

I was still getting spoil out of the upper compartment at the spine.  I wye'd in the factory lower collection port.

SmallBSDCRetrofit(4).thumb.jpg.d170e65d9bcd92b19806c11e36d7e5c0.jpg

It seems better.  Time will tell.  Maybe the vac just isn't moving enough air for the BS(?).

• Like 1

On 1/18/2024 at 6:33 AM, pkinneb said:

FWIW just got our heat bill for Dec it was about 40% of last years...Avg temp for the month in 2024 29 degrees, last year 15 degrees. Crazy!!

I just got mine too, but it was over 200% of last year's!  The actual gas usage was just a bit under last Dec's, so it's the cost of gas that went up so bad (and I thought I'd just read the US is now the leading producer of nat'l gas?)  

Last July I had to replace both my furnace and A/C, 26 years old, and I got the most efficient heat pump/furnace combo I could.  It was sweet when I saw my August A/C bill was <$40, but the reduction of my heating (gas, not electric) was much less impressive.  I ran the numbers and my new HVAC system will have paid for itself just before my 137th birthday, so there's that.  :rolleyes:  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/29/2024 at 6:30 PM, Tom King said:

What's on the complimentary 7" record?

"Memory of a Dance" by Maurice Jarre

"The Merry Gent" by Alan Moorhouse

"The Giant Killers" by Len Stevens

None familiar to me...

On 1/29/2024 at 8:08 PM, gee-dub said:

Took another stab at the small bandsaw DC. ... I was still getting spoil out of the upper compartment at the spine. 

I'm not familiar with the term "spoil" in this context. I'm guessing dust that is evading the collection system? TIA

On 1/30/2024 at 6:26 AM, Von said:

I'm not familiar with the term "spoil" in this context. I'm guessing dust that is evading the collection system? TIA

spoil = saw dust; collected or not.  I think that is an old Jr. High woodshop term I fell in the habit of using (?).  Anything that results from a cutting or shaping operation.

• Like 1