Vacupress for veneer

Ronn W

Last full veneered top I did was veneered with a balance sheet on the bottom then cut to size/shape then edge banded. I did the top last. I put it on top of a small piece of melamine with the face veneer down then slid that into the press. So the bottom of the piece is facing up while it's in the press.

10 hours ago, Ronn W said:

I succesfully got the edge banding on.  Used 24 pieces with the grain at angle and the joints lined up with the joints of the radial pattern on the top.  I reversed the angle of the grain every 30 degress.  Nice effect.  Picky work but it turned out well.  I used double think veneer (2 layers) on the edge to allow for just a little more round over with the 220 grit.

...and the pics you obviously forgot to post :) 

6 hours ago, wdwerker said:

That edge work looks "marvelous" (use Billy Crystal's voice) ! How did you apply the edge veneer ? 

I started with 24 pieces (double thick)  I glue them together in pairs so that the grain is each half was a mirror image.  I centered the first pair one a joint in the top.  Wach pairs was just a tad wider than neede so I could trim the next pair to butt into the previous pair.  Just worked my way around the edge.  I used a piece of the waste from gutting the 14" circle as a caul and used vise and a bench dog to clamp each piece.

Smart & creative approach.   Surely you signed & dated it ?

I once veneered 2 half round ends using a contrived press made from the offcut and a fire hose. Inflate the hose to add pressure. Took almost $20 worth of fittings to reduce from a fire hose coupling to a bicycle tire valve.

That looks fantastic and something I would like to try in the future. The system you went with looks very user friendly. 

I have done an extensive amount of vacuum laminating composites and would forgo the grooved platen and premade bag system. These are not hurting you in any way, just a little more expensive.

Fiberglas window screen works in place of the grooves too. Of course I didn't find that out until after I had made 3 different size platens. My pump is old school cast iron vane type that sips oil from a little jar. Must be over 40 years old and still runs like a top.

1 hour ago, wdwerker said:

Fiberglas window screen works in place of the grooves too. Of course I didn't find that out until after I had made 3 different size platens. My pump is old school cast iron vane type that sips oil from a little jar. Must be over 40 years old and still runs like a top.

Window screen works great. Another options is a breathable fabric like felt.

Looks great, and very interesting thread!   I see vacuum pumps for sale, all the time on CL.   What would be good to look for?   The only veneering I've done is hammering, but a vacuum bag setup would be nice to have.   The job for a $500 setup hasn't come up yet though.

Mine is an old Gast rotary vane pump. Motor is only 1/3hp. I've veneered 4x12 conference tables with it.  I also use it extensively for vacuum clamping to hold parts while routing laminate.  It's a manual vacuum pump so it just runs non stop while pressing veneer. The newer ones shut on & off depending on demand. I don't think the pumps are built for constant use.

On 08/05/2018 at 5:45 PM, wdwerker said:

Good to know. Old dogs can learn new tricks !

Grrrrrrrrr!

I am going to get some fiberglass screening for my next project, I wall hanging.  Plan to use it in place of a top caul.

• Like 1