Grr-ripper

Ronn W

OK, so I am a lttle behind but I finally bought one of these push blocks (with the 1/8" side plate added for no add'l cost at my local Wodcraft).  I love it.  Solid and easy to use.  I had to make a bunch of 3/4 x 1/8 "boards" for the outside of a barn for play farm animals.   tI worked great - took no time to rip several dozen about 16" long and I could cut the last  3/16" strip to 1/8" thick.  On the last one I didn't have the block solid against the rip fence so I kinda killed the 1/8" side plate but that was my fault.  I was impressed that the saw just cut the plastic with no kickback - very safe.  When I saw that the replecement side plate alone was $16 and said, "what the hell, I can use 2" .  So I bought another one wth the side plate.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Ronn W said:

On the last one I didn't have the block solid against the rip fence so I kinda killed the 1/8" side plate but that was my fault.

Better that then you digits.

I have two grr-rippers, some times it is nice to have two  And really like them.  They're Gr-rreat. :D

• Haha 1

I accidentally ripped a kerf through one of the wide moveable strips . Now I use the kerfed strip to straddle the blade if it's easier than reconfiguring the Grrriiiipppper.  But if I have to accurately rip hundreds of parts taking the time to set it up correctly pays off big time.  When you spend a couple days cutting 300 of one size, 200 of another and 100 of the biggest size my Grrripper saves me a full day of time. It used to take 3 days to cut the same batch of parts.

If I catch them on sale I might buy a third one just to leave it set up for cutting those big batch parts for a recurring order.

Another user of pairs here.  I have scars on mine as well.  One for not setting the depth correctly (and it is a generous variable), once through the center foot and other dings and such.  Glad the block took the hit for you.  I have watched for sales and clearances over the years and accumulated quite a bevy of parts on the cheap.  I recommend this approach for all us Grr-Ripper lovers.

I have those jointer grippers for the jointer. They are helpful there from time to time when face jointing wide boards but on the whole i don't use them a ton. On the table saw i use push sticks i like to just keep my hands as far away as possible. Recently I've been doing almost 100% of my rip cuts on the bandsaw. The resaw king really is that good. The same quick swipe i need to remove the table saw marks removes the marks from the bandsaw blade.

Love the pair of Grr-Rippers I've had for several years now. They sit on a shelf right beside the TS for quick access. 

I've read a complaint from time to time that they can lose their grip (become slick) over time, but I've found that a quick swipe across my jeans or apron before every use takes care of that. My pair came with all the doo-dads and attachments, but other than the side shoe that keeps them from tipping on narrow stock I haven't found them to be very helpful.

I put a pair of the jointer models on my Christmas wish list my wife requested last week.

Ronn next time you nick one up let me know I have a couple for sale  cheap :)

Edit. Just to be clear I have both the regular Grr-Rip 3D which I never remember to use and two Grr-rip Blocks which I replaced with homemade versions. They are good products I just never think to use the one and the other two I prefer the ones I made out of floats.

I bought mine due to peer pressure on here, (thanks Steve)  at a local woodworking show here three or four years ago. I fiddleded with it a couple of times and thought nah, it’s a sissy thing. Several months later, when needing to rip several 1/2” pieces, I looked to make sure no one was watching and the knuckles went from white to normal. Now, anything cut less than 3/4” rip, I pull it out. Paul, try them a couple of times before putting them out by the curb. 

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 9:25 PM, K Cooper said:

Pm me with your address and you will have one in nothing short. Me and Bezos are tight.  In fact, Amazon is waiting for your shipping address now. 

I thought you might be kidding a first but after a PM I see you wasn't.  Very nice of you.  I need to learn how to use the Gripper so I hopefully don't nick it up.   Thank You.  

The gravity heel add on kit includes 2 of all the parts. I only found the fixed heel as part of a set. It just attaches with a Tee bolt and a knob. 

https://www.ptreeusa.com/tablesaw_push_blocks.html

Part #4055 is the gravity heel kit.  It lets you use the push block in the middle of a board and the heel drops down if the block is placed at the end of the board. There is probably a video of it in action somewhere.

Be careful deploying those tailhooks ! Didn't some Navy guys end up in a whole lotta trouble........