Shop Tour

..Kev

Glad to see the drill press in the corner.  That is my plan for the next space as I chickened out in the current one.  After years of "careful analysis" I know that I can do almost anything with the 6 feet or more of side to side clearance a corner placement gives me.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bleedinblue said:

Fantastic Kev, and it came together very quickly.  Your Roubo looks a little sad hiding out in that corner...and I am still super jealous of your ts outfeed table.

Thanks..  It looks a bit better with the hand tool storage ;)

On 1/20/2019 at 8:17 AM, ..Kev said:

Now that the shop's up and running, thought I'd toss out a shop tour. 

Thank you for sharing, @Kev. It's always fun and inspiring to see another Woodworker's shop. And you are well apportioned in what I've come to learn is one of the greatest, and hardest to come by commodities in a shop: space. After seeing all the abundant space between your machines and work stations, my 2.5 car garage/shop seems all the more cramped. 

Enjoy your new space, I am sure you'll do great work in there!

• Like 1

Thanks!

Full disclosure, additional space does add additional challenges.  I'm currently working on those challenges  which will come out in future videos.

Case in point..  Clamp wall..  Reality is that my work station is the OF table which is a good distance away from those clamps.  So, do I go to a mobile clamp rack or perhaps build an assembly table?  There's no wrong answer and I've made my decision but, it's good fodder for conversation.

And, for the record, my last shop was a double car garage..

• Like 2

Looks great, Kev!  Like everyone else I am space jealous.  I think we have more equipment in our two-car garage than you have in that huge shop! :D

One question - is your DC motor going to get enough air for cooling being that close to the ceiling?  Ok, second question of, uh, one - how do you empty the can?  It looks like there's nothing to move up to get it out.  I'm sure that's not the case but it just looks that way in the video.

David

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, difalkner said:

Looks great, Kev!  Like everyone else I am space jealous.  I think we have more equipment in our two-car garage than you have in that huge shop! :D

One question - is your DC motor going to get enough air for cooling being that close to the ceiling?  Ok, second question of, uh, one - how do you empty the can?  It looks like there's nothing to move up to get it out.  I'm sure that's not the case but it just looks that way in the video.

David

Thanks!

Currently, the DC has plenty of air movement around it so, it's not an issue.  That may change when I enclose it so, I might have to fine a way to get some air movement around it.  Either way, it's really only an issue when the DC is running for extended periods of time like a long milling session.

As for the DC can, it's got a short piece of flex hose between the can lid and the DC so, it does lift out fairly easily.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2019 at 8:36 PM, ..Kev said:

So, do I go to a mobile clamp rack or perhaps build an assembly table?  There's no wrong answer and I've made my decision but, it's good fodder for conversation. And, for the record, my last shop was a double car garage..

You've got so much more room there and so many clamps, a clamp rack really makes sense. On the other hand, another smaller mobile unit like your sled case could store clamps around the outside, yet still have an assembly top when needed. I'm sure that whatever you decide, it will work out great for you and I'll continue to be extremely jealous. (Just make sure that it has some walnut trim) ;)

Chris

"It's never too late to have a happy childhood"

• Like 1

• 1 month later...