Tool wall for deep bench

treesner

So I’m setting up a leather workspace and the cutting table is super deep which makes it hard to do a tool wall behind it with all the tools hung or magnated. Anyone have a similar problem and come up with a solution for having close places for frequently used tools so they don’t clutter up the bench 

kind of thinking a side tool wall or building an overhang halfway deep into the bench but in the air a bit so that I can still cut under it. If it was fancy could do that on some kind of slider to push it farther back if I need the vertical space. But that would make it unsturdy for pulling magneted tools on and off 317F388E-2E34-4E25-8C8C-D61FE4AD7C90.thumb.jpeg.6848fb0df74700350ad428385a55af45.jpeg

I put a shelf 4" under the top of my bench and set tools on that. Key is to keep the height small so you can only put short items on it, but enough that it's easy to grab tools and then put them back.

3548642484248556340.thumb.jpg.8fba8157eafd38f88802dd74ed4d2f78.jpg

Another random idea or modification to take you wall holder and turn it into a drawer. Have the holes in the bottom to orient your tools vertical and just make sure to have enough space below it. Kinda like the caddy you have in your  first picture but as a drawer.

I have had a terminal case of re-arranger-itis (Stumpy Nubs), meaning that I will have it until I die. To help with this I make all tool walls using the French cleat system. That way I can move anything anytime I want with minimal effort. If you over anchor the cleats it will hold quite a bit of weight, securely. Springs a coming and the fish are biting.

On 2/6/2019 at 8:32 AM, Coyote Jim said:

What about this style of a TV wall mount?

commercial-electric-tv-wall-mounts-xd2470-64_1000.thumb.jpg.eee770babf2fffe3cdcc31118789b2e8.jpg

You could attached a piece of plywood to the face and do all your tool hangers on the plywood. Then you can just pivot the thing around and out of your way.

These kinds of mounts are usually good to hold up a couple hundred lbs so it should work.

That’s a cool idea, bummed that I threw one of those away when moved into the house!

On 2/6/2019 at 6:18 AM, Chestnut said:

Another random idea or modification to take you wall holder and turn it into a drawer. Have the holes in the bottom to orient your tools vertical and just make sure to have enough space below it. Kinda like the caddy you have in your  first picture but as a drawer.

this type of thing? 

ras-448kb-bcsc-8c_b-b-s3.jpg

this doesnt really solve my problem but a cool idea to drop it down when you're working and put it up under the cabinet when you're not

under-cabinet-magnetic-knife-rack-1-nu4i2hykiu0h086crx2ckxf1pmurtsp22o72gi5nk8.jpg.41b9eaa06e8e9bf0b10b974cd39d7218.jpg

6 hours ago, treesner said:

this type of thing? 

ras-448kb-bcsc-8c_b-b-s3.jpg

I would think wider, and not so tall - it would be a PITA to crouch/bend over to get to the tools down below.

A drop-in system like for the knives in the photo would work for some tools - e.g., awls - but not so well for others, like wide bench chisels where the business end is as wide or wider than the handle.  Might also be a problem in terms of identifying the tool you're after - all my bench chisels look the same from the handle end.

On 2/6/2019 at 7:07 AM, Tpt life said:

Corner anchor a tv swing arm? Pivot to back wall or side wall. 

More I think about it cooler that sounds. Wonder if it would bounce around every time you pulled a tool off a magnet or whatever. Can you like lock them and unlock them? Those dentists always have cool moving took trays and such.. 

think incould make something out of pipe that double hinges like that?

3 hours ago, gee-dub said:

Hmm, with a 14 pound limit you would have to double check what you want to put on it.  We use a similar product at work and with a 13 pound monitor they are very solid and stay where you put 'em so they may be being conservative.

thanks I guess ive never weighted my tools haha the hammers would be the heft of it 

You could make frame that hangs on the wall and using some plywood make some panels connected with piano hinges so they accordion into the wall mounted frame, the last panel would be the tool wall holder thingamajig piano hinges can accommodate more weight than flat panel tv brackets. It seems to me like it would be a simple build you probably have enough scrap chunks of plywood laying around the shop.

11 minutes ago, higtron said:

You could make frame that hangs on the wall and using some plywood make some panels connected with piano hinges so they accordion into the wall mounted frame, the last panel would be the tool wall holder thingamajig piano hinges can accommodate more weight than flat panel tv brackets. It seems to me like it would be a simple build you probably have enough scrap chunks of plywood laying around the shop.

thats a good idea and a nice DIY solution. My only problem is that I feel like It may move to freely like when you pull a toll off or go to put a tool in. the thing I was thinking might be nice about the TV thing is that it's probably pretty stiff and hopefully adjustable with some kind of allen tension at the pivots 

Also the accordion thing made me think of these tool boxes. although not enough reach for what I'm looking for it would be pretty cool to see a tool wall built like these boxes but mounted on the wall so it came out horizontally instead of vertically, would allow you to still mount stuff on the wall next to it (or stack up wood) and have the tool case come out in front of that stuff when you need something 

1a6f7fa77dbd0d792c1b4a8a95d9a2fa.jpg?b=t

• 2 weeks later...

so I tried this one out which also has vertical movement. you can only adjust the tension of the up and down movement non of the other parts you can adjust unfortunately. however it seems to be working pretty good with this experiment board I tacked up real quick. I think I'm going to go wider and taller but I like how it works. the tools jiggle around a little bit when you grab a tool which sort of annoys me. but I've really liked being able to pivot it around from one bench to the other bench 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0722YHHX7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IMG_6486.thumb.JPG.b9f100dfe3ea4d66640eba511d873c63.JPGIMG_6475.thumb.JPG.a14ff1c12b8f730dadfacbf1bce25a26.JPGIMG_6552.thumb.JPG.5be7ab93dc9334816bc3af9946ce76a2.JPG

• Like 1