Advertising

Steve B Anderson

• 5 months later...
3 minutes ago, Mark J said:

The way advertising is displayed seems to have become more aggressive.  More ads are popping up in more places on the phone screen.  They are often in the way of viewing the site, and even more aggrevating they are in the way of operating the site. 

Yes, I just saw this too. The banner ads are fine, but having pop up ads is a lot more annoying.

I too wish the supporter program would return.

It's funny. There's another forum that in the last year or so made it mandatory to contribute $6/year in order to have full site functionality and there was such a howl of protest that you'd have thought the hounds of hell had been turned loose. And here, people want the opportunity to contribute, but can't.

• Like 1

I understand that hosting a forum costs money and that advertising is revenue, but when the ads achieve a certain level of annoying, forum participants will find other places to seek information or enjoy their time.  I usually use my square phone to surf this and a couple of other forums as I no longer spend the day in front of a computer, but the way these ads are being presented on my phone I will likely have to confine my participation to those occasions that I am on a computer.  

• Like 1

I like hanging out here, but it's too hard to fight with the advertising display protocols.  These have  rendered my phone useless for this forum.  I might use my phone to check for answers to a question I've asked, but not to check if there are questions I can answer.  I'll still use a computer, but less often.   I guess the good news is I'll be seeing fewer ads, now.  :)

Check Google to see how to remove unwanted ad programs for whichever browser you use.  It sounds like there has been some malware programs on your computers, and phones.  I had this happen on all forums about six months ago, and found out how to remove the execute files from Chrome.  It was pretty easy, by following the instructions.  Those files came up as the only ones in the list, were easy to recognize, and were easy to remove.

My Malware software didn't find them.  They were hiding in too obvious sight, I think.

These complaints sound like the same sort of thing that I ran into, rather than coming from Mark.

7 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Guys, I tried to contact Kev by PM, but the message isn't going through. Perhaps @..Kevor @thewoodwhisperer will see this Bat Signal and offer a comment. You are correct, on a phone screen the ads completely block the content.

Not sure why you couldn't PM me, that's strange..  As for the ads, nothing's changed that I'm aware of..  

Sorry for the influx of ads guys. I'll explain. 

Every year, we take a look at the forum's performance, how much it costs to run and how much revenue it generates. Without going into details, I can say that forum traffic is steady (no major growth or loss) but expenses continue to go up. I looked at our options for ad placements and decided to try something new. While I don't seem to be seeing what some of you are seeing, it's obviously a much more aggressive display set. But in the couple of days this new system has been active, the daily revenue has more than tripled. It's too soon to tell if that's a fluke or if that's accurate but it is noteworthy. 

I have no desire to ruin the experience for our regular users and I know ads of any kind can really spoil the fun, so I'm going to bring back the Supporter program. A little history on that. The reason I stopped the program previously was two-fold. First, we didn't have that many people taking advantage of it. And second, we had some challenges with credit card processing that made the setup a huge hassle. Looking into it now (a couple years later), it seems many of those obstacles have been resolved. So if you look at the navbar at the top of the site and click on Subscriptions, you should see the Supporter Ad-Free option. The first few people who try this will have to be test subjects. Please let me know if everything works as expected. 

The cost of the supporter package used to be $20/yr. I have lowered that to $10/yr. 

Again, I literally just set this up so let me know if it works. 

• Like 2

For anyone who genuinely can not afford the ten dollar subscription, please contact me via PM.  We're working on a way to help those who can not afford to pay..  Your name will be kept completely private.

My only ask is that you really can't afford the subscription.