Dealing with HOA

NSBrad

It's funny , the difference in these things. I live in Black Oak , Arkansas. Before my shop build , I contacted the Mayor , the County, the Building Inspector, and got the same answer from all. No permits required, no limits on size, design, or any thing else.  We are a town of 250 pop. -  the home of that 70's rock band of the same name ( remember Jim Dandy to the Rescue ? )   Born in Michigan, but love being" down south "  Down here it's "what's a HOA? "

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Around here from my experience it's quite the opposite most developers don't want to set up HOA's because of the legal costs associated. It might be more common in more ritzy neighborhoods in the inner ring but it's not the case outside the beltway. At least of the 10-15 developments I've worked on in the last 6 months zero have been HOAs. 4-5 were PUDs.

I use it as a way to motivate developers to follow the standards. They don't want an HOA so i tell them if they don't meet the citiy/town road standards the city/town won't accept and take ownership of the road which would force them to start an HOA to cover maintenance costs.

Makes sense.   They're definitely common in the suburbs.   I think because they're trying to maximize how many homes they can get in an area.   And the twinhomes and such where someone mows your lawn for you are very common, so they need an HOA regardless to manage that.

We're fortunate where we are now that the road is a city road.   It's wide enough cars can park on both sides and they do all the maintenance.    Our development is a combination of single family homes and twin homes.  So there's a Master association and then one specific to the twin homes.   The Master basically just has a bunch of rules and most are reasonable, but I can't park a trailer behind my house and that sucks.

44 minutes ago, blackoak said:

It's funny , the difference in these things. I live in Black Oak , Arkansas. Before my shop build , I contacted the Mayor , the County, the Building Inspector, and got the same answer from all. No permits required, no limits on size, design, or any thing else.  We are a town of 250 pop. -  the home of that 70's rock band of the same name ( remember Jim Dandy to the Rescue ? )   Born in Michigan, but love being" down south "  Down here it's "what's a HOA? "

Well sure... if you live out in the middle of nowhere there ain't many rules.   My family on the farm used to burn trash in barrels too.   Well until the county finally decided that was a bad idea and started up trash service.

HOA isn't all bad.   Growing up one house we lived in the neighbors behind us were basically using their back yard as a junk yard.   Had something like 8 cars back there on blocks in various stages of dismantling.   Stuff like that really runs down property values.   It's just you need a balance.

And in my view... noise complaints is doing something outdoors after 10pm.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Minnesota Steve said:

Had something like 8 cars back there on blocks in various stages of dismantling.   Stuff like that really runs down property values.   It's just you need a balance.

A lot of stuff like this is being covered by city ordinances. The trouble with some of the cities that are out there like Farmington, or Minnetrista is they don't enforce when someone does complain. That comes back to representation and the city officials not wanting to shake the boat. Kinda have to be careful calling out suburbs I think you'd be surprised to learn how far out the Suburban edge really is. Basically anything from St Francis to the south side of Lakeville from the st croix to greenfield. MSP metro covers a lot of area.

It's also quite common for HOAs to dissolve, I've had to deal with a few of those already too. Neighbors come in that, like the topic of this thread, want to control everything to find out their covenants have expired and they aren't willing to pay the legal fees to renew them. It's difficult to tell someone in the most polite manner possible that his neighbor has all the rights in the world to build a shop on his lot and there isn't a dang thing he can do about it.

14 hours ago, treeslayer said:

A bunch of of old guys from here in our birthday suits would drive those pesky neighbors out in about an hour and they would never come back

No offense but when I throw that party I'm not inviting any of you guys.  I work next to ASU so I'll load up a party bus with coeds. It'll still annoy the neighbors. :D

2 hours ago, blackoak said:

I'd love to move to a little bit more remote location.  Even if it's just the very outer edge of Phoenix that hasn't been developed yet.  I've always wanted a compound where I could have a house, nice home theater, shop, and like a 6 car garage.  At some point I might try to talk work into letting me work remote, at least part time, and look into moving further out or relocating to a smaller town.  Fortunately the type of work I do lends itself nicely to working remotely.  

• Haha 1

Talk to your landlord and then the HOA. If it’s actually in the guidelines then it is what it is. If not, sand away and call the police in your neighbor with the airhorn. I’d also dogs it a loud dog and run a mower for 8 hours a day on the weekend. 

Around here everything is an HOA. I actually have 2 HOAs. Live in a townhouse and have 1/3 my basement as a shop, no issues. Also fix my car, run power tools outside and have never had an issue. Guess it depends where you are and who is in charge.