The Jensen Z-Chair

Bmac

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, JonG said:

New guy here. Those are some fine Selig style Z chairs, well done! Love mcm. Were the cushions a major expense for the project?  

Thank you Joh! Love MCM also. I used a high end upholsetry guy, cost me north of $700 for the chairs. I do think you could do it cheaper. I think my first attempt at these chairs was solid, but I'm making refinements to the next set. Excited to share these when I'm done, I think they will look less "bulky" and softer/more delicate. 

Now, let's talk about the real name of the Z-chair. Selig produced, but Jensen designed this chair. I debated what to call it, even thought the title should be just Z-chair, but in the end I gave the nod to the designer in the post. Still, glad to see a knowledgable post to bring in the name that in the end produced the chair and made the it so popular!

Yes. Jensen designed, produced by Selig. I've always heard them referred to as Selig z's, but the designer should be the one the chair is named for. 

Looking forward to your next set, although imo the ones you made are going to be difficult to top.

Very nice build along, I appreciate the effort you put unto sharing. 

• 2 weeks later...

I love the addition of sapwood in the chosen areas as well. I think it's time to celebrate all of the walnut wood not just the chocolaty center.

This is giving me good inspiration to get back in the shop and making things. I can't wait to get back to work on some of my projects that got interrupted because of unforeseen surprises.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

I love the addition of sapwood in the chosen areas as well. I think it's time to celebrate all of the walnut wood not just the chocolaty center.

2 hours ago, Chet said:

I like these, as with all your projects they came out great.   I see you embraced the sapwood, well done.

Thanks for noticing that, I really like the look of walnut with the sapwood. Most of the sapwood will be hidden by the cushions, so I didn't really worry about it while I was building, then I got them done and thought that looks really cool. I could have done a little better at chosing the location of some of the sapwood, I think it looks a little haphazardly placed. But in the end I'm still pleased.

My stock was less than primo walnut, but I agree we should not be afraid to celebrate and embrace walnut's alter ego. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Coop said:

Those turned out fantastic. Are they as comfy as they are attractive? Thanks for taking us along for the ride!

Coop, thanks and yes they are very comfy. They really sit well.

16 minutes ago, Mark J said:

Lovely chairs!  I lie the lamp, too.  Is that your build, or buy?

Doesn't that lamp just match the chairs perfectly, real MCM feel. But no, I did not make that, I purchased the lamp.