Pin Nailers

Coop

Somewhere recently I ran across a review on pin nailers (or maybe it was brad nailers). I thought it was in the annual FW  Tools & Shops but apparently not. I seem to remember that Bostitch was one of the ones recommended? I need one to attach small trim to hold glass in place on a door that I am building. Senco and Grex also come to mind. Anyone have their preference? 

15 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

I have two Grex pin nailers that I am very happy with. 

Hopefully the pic is clear enough. It shows door, the trim piece and the gap is where the glass will go. The trim piece is 1/2” thick, and 3/4” wide (front to glass) . My concern is being able to shoot the pin parallel to the glass into the door without hitting the glass.

80A4BEF9-B213-4D6C-8317-DCBDA2D1464F.thumb.jpeg.29092c3777a8a593400d02e2a1c95497.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Coop said:

Hopefully the pic is clear enough. It shows door, the trim piece and the gap is where the glass will go. The trim piece is 1/2” thick, and 3/4” wide (front to glass) . My concern is being able to shoot the pin parallel to the glass into the door without hitting the glass.

You will have to go at a bit of an angle but I don't see any issues.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BillyJack said:

You can silicone spots to hold the glass and use a hot glue gun to secure the loose pieces behind...

No pins necessary...

I will be using Lexel to hold the glass to the door. Never thought about using it to hold the trim in place. Might be an option! Hopefully we will never have to replace the tempered glass panels. Thanks

Any excuse to get a new tool will do I bought a rebuilt Hitachi on the advice of Steve (woodwerker) it’s nice to have the option of those little pins in the right application, do a test first of course with different length pins, Grex I believe is pretty much top of the line, a friend of mine has one and is very pleased with it

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Coop said:

I ordered and received today, the Bostitch nailer. Plan is to make a mock-up of the door panel and see how close it comes to the faux glass. It should be ok. 

I think you'll be fine. Honestly I don't think a pin would hurt the glass its more likely to deflect off and shoot back to you so watch your finger placement.

• Like 1

I have a Grex (around $150) and a Harbor Freight (around $20).  The Grex is more elegant, has a nose condom, cool exhaust port, and a better safety.  The results are the same if you don't push the Harbor Freight too hard and dent the material.  The longer nose on the Grex allows you to get into tricky spots.  For general use they work the same.

P.s.  I am not a rabid HF fan.  This just happens to be one of those possible diamonds in the rough.

• Like 1