New Shop Thread

gee-dub

Now you've done it.  I have been sitting here racking my brains and using my Google-Fu over my morning coffee trying to remember where I even got that thing. :D  I know I got it after the dot-coms crashed and I left Silly-Cone valley so sometime over the last 20 years . . . yeah . . . that narrows it down. :) 

I believe it is made in India and is a little crude as such things area. Fringe Groz products seem to ebb and flow in the US at the woodworking shows.  It would not surprise me if it was an impulse buy in the mid 2000's at one of the shows.  I found a similar (maybe identical) item on the Bay here.  If it is any consolation, this one rocks the drill press as well even spinning as slow as 250 RPM.  These style of cutters are useful but a little scary.

1 hour ago, gee-dub said:

These style of cutters are useful but a little scary.

Understatement of the year. You guys have seen me try some pretty sketchy stuff, but those fly cutters are off limits in my shop. Put one in the drill press once, but the slightest imbalance turns it into a whirling dirvish of death. My DP bottoms out at 600 rpm. Pretty sure those things are meant to use in a milling machine, where runout / wobble is practically non-existant, and speed can go down to double-digit rpms.

The other cast iron wings I have are from my old hybrid saw.

22124-Mar-2010.jpg.4c36bd2c9081ef169f9e5d035cea8822.jpgThe long edge holes match up much as many C-man, Delta, and apparently Saw Stop wings do. The fence rails beyond the position of the stock cast iron wings on the Saw Stop expect the pine framed side table and are not in line or use spacing like my Biesemeyer rails.

I remember the fear and trepidation of drilling my first cast iron wing. It literally took me a lot of forum reassurance and worrying until the following day before I performed the anticlimactic operation. I have gotten much more comfortable with field mods over the years.

Portable machine shop .
2082596707_NewShop(417).jpg.470be7eab1bcca21af7aab7b8443142e.jpg
Wood table hole in circle, new hole at arrow.
480241605_NewShop(418).jpg.c0123dac14e5fd9941417202925b5ccb.jpg
Now I just need to do this . . .
164936128_NewShop(419).jpg.29c9635ab13c13185c6dbfc85e87b6fe.jpg
. . . a few more times.

• Like 2

On 9/26/2021 at 5:38 AM, wtnhighlander said:

Nice tips on shop layout, Glenn! What brand of pipe clamp are you using in those saw assembly photos? I don't recognize that form.

I believe I picked those up at the Woodcraft store back in the early 2000s. It’s funny how some things like that stick with you while other more important things seem to slip away…:wacko:

• Thanks 1

I made a cabinet to go under the left side of the saw and made it to fit with in the legs, I never thought of making in bigger and letting it support the extension.  Good idea.

Is that a mobil base under the saw or just a base to raise the height of the saw?