New Shop Thread

gee-dub

Yep.  Like a lot of large scale projects there have been times when this one has worn thin on my patience.  99.9% of the time though I have enjoyed it.  Even when I am sweating in 100 degree weather and aching the next day.  It's a good hurt ;-)

• Like 1

I admire the work done. And I'm sure I will admire your shop when you are done. I am jealous of your energy . You burn a lot more calories in the heat. The special carrot at the end of the stick is very good motivation. The build is excellent!

On 7/8/2021 at 6:11 PM, wtnhighlander said:

Glenn, is that panel material glossy enough to shed the fine powder that seems to build up no matter what? Wiping the fuzz off the painted drywall in my shed drives me nuts.

It is slick like a plastic film.  About as thick as melamine but smooth and glossy.  I had to smile at your post since I sent pics to a friend telling him that the smooth surface should "stay clean in the dust collector shed" . . . this was followed by about 30 ha-ha-ha's in the text. 

It does wipe clean easily but seems to hold a static charge when free handling.  The static didn't seem to be a bother once the board was mounted. The instructions state that seams and errant staple shots can be hidden with a wipe of white caulk.   I will report back on the caulk and the static after it has had some time to show its true behavior.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2021 at 7:34 AM, Mark J said:

Accumulates fine dust that's easily dislodged...  Sounds like you'll need a dust mask in your DC room.  :)

Would there be any point in, or way to, ground the panels?

I'm going to watch it for awhile once I get underway.  There will be a backboard, disconnect box, j-box, and flex conduit all running along one wall to carry wiring for the cyclone's motor and the feeds to / from the remote mag- switch in the main shop.  There would be ample presence of a ground should that prove necessary. 

I will be taping the ducting and trying to seal the DC pathways up tight.  Past experience has taught me that even though you make many walkabouts with a smoking incense stick looking for leaks.  The telltale presence of superfine dust patterns after a month or so of use is the best leak locator around :P

On 7/8/2021 at 6:11 PM, wtnhighlander said:

Glenn, is that panel material glossy enough to shed the fine powder that seems to build up no matter what? Wiping the fuzz off the painted drywall in my shed drives me nuts.

When it comes to wall buildup a good brush nozzle on the end of a shop vac wand seems to work best for me.

On 7/9/2021 at 5:20 PM, wtnhighlander said:

Anyone tried that self-fusing silicone tape for duct joints? Seems like it would mold to a good seal, but leaves no residue when removed. Helpful if, like me, you have to disassemble things now and again.

I have.  It worked well for about 2 years.  It did fuse to itself and that part of the tape retained its integrity.  The entire loop came loose as a unit though.  I am not sure how long the tape is supposed to last but I have tried 2 different kinds and both performed the same.  Tape was used in a static install, no-movement, southern California garage environment.

Worked well but overall stability fails after a few years.  A quality vinyl tape made for ducting may be a better product.  That is what I will be using this go-round.  Unfortunately I won't be able to report on performance for a few years ;-)

• Thanks 1