New Shop Thread

gee-dub

One thing I had put off for too long was getting the stuff to work on HVAC house equipment.  I have the stuff for working on automotive AC, but had a good guy, that was reasonable for working on house equipment.

When my Mother moved in with us, on short notice, I scrambled around, and got the first mini-split I could get my hands on.  I got the guy I mentioned to hook everything up, and charge it.

Brand is Tosot, which was the only correctly sized unit I could get that day-short notice.

I like the way it worked through the cold weather, and starting working fine when we needed to run the AC.  Until it stopped cooling.

Long story shortened, I called the guy.  He came and put 20 oz. of R410a in it, and some stop-leak with die, to help find the leak.  He was here for about a half hour.  The bill came to over $400.

Just got a 25 pound can of R410a for less than $150 delivered.  Correct adapters for my gauge set coming.

The guy said no manufacturer warranties against refrigerant loss.

Are you putting in the mini-splits yourself?

I agree and unlike the big box stores where the employee worked at DQ two weeks prior, most of Ace’s  employees have been there for years. Unfortunately, we lost our Ace to HD and Lowe’s a couple of years ago.

On 5/21/2021 at 8:39 PM, wtnhighlander said:

My hate for plumbing repairs stems from the nearest hardware store being 20 minutes away, and that 3 trips (minimum) are required to obtain all the correct parts.

I usually hedge my bets and buy double of everything i need and a couple of what I don't need but could see a possibility. I just return what I don't use. This was the advice the guy gave me in the plumbing department.

Given that the stuff is $1 buying 30 pieces you don't need doesn't add up to much compared to the lost time in the extra trips. Especially when you can just return them later. To save them the extra expenses on transaction costs i just get store credit, i usually spend it right away anyway.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

@gee-dub, given the climate, are you planning to return filtered air from that shed, or exhaust externally? Also wondering if you planned to put an air compressor there, as I have thought about doing so, but worry about heat management.

Exhaust externally.  So little spoil gets past the cyclone that I will just vent it outside trough a folded baffle to control noise.  The shed will be insulated.  Such structures remain fairly stable around here despite the external weather.  However, as you point out I will be generating heat with the cyclone and will have to see how much it is and then develop a way to deal with it as required.  I hope to be able to handle it passively or with solar fans like I use on other outbuildings on the property.

As to air, I went through the trouble of running an air system around the previous shop thinking it would be handy.  I found that I used air so seldom that it was not worth the effort for me to do that again.  I plan to have my quiet little 4 gal. California Air compressor ride in the bottom of a shop / assembly cart with a hose reel for use as required.  I'm still using brads and pins out of the boxes I bought along with the tools nearly 20 years ago :lol:.

• Like 1

Fog horn design? JK I am assuming that the baffle is to reduce noise from the exhaust? Is that designed with varying baffle sizes? The spacing doesn't look consistent. That sounds interesting i hope you post some on your findings on how it works and how different configurations change the impact.

Just a thought, but I think the sound baffles would work just as well if mounted at an angle rather than horizontal.  But at an angle dust would be more likely to move to the bottom chamber where it could be easily vacuumed out.  Might even be able to vibrate the chamber "clean" without opening it using an old 1/4 sheet sander. 

31 minutes ago, gee-dub said:

. I'm just saying that I'm the guy who will sit in one spot and go through 146 variations of something and duly document every variation (to find the 145 ways I don't like) without getting bored.

I wish i didn't have to work 45 hours a week because I'd also be that person. It's interesting to see how changing something minor can lead to larger impacts. Though this sometimes is part of my job as an engineer (often i wish a larger part of my job) so i probably enjoy it more than most.

• Like 1