New Shop Thread

gee-dub

On 7/23/2021 at 5:09 PM, wtnhighlander said:

@gee-dub, are those fittings of the thinner-walled PVC material (schedule 20?) typically used for DC work? All I ever find at the Big Box places is schedule 40.

Correct.  ASTM-2729 and the like.  They are seldom in stores but places like Lowe's carry Charlotte Pipe and NDS products.  You need to order them but, a couple of fittings quickly reaches the price that qualifies for free shipping.  These were about $24 versus the $40 for schd-40 or $100+clamps for steel.

I don't buy these items often but, find I source them differently nearly every time.  At one point Ace Hardware Online had a great price on 6" ASTM-2729 pipe so when I bought I bought extra.  This time around Lowe's had the best 'price to my door' so I ordered a few wyes, elbows and caps from them. 

It really pays to shop around on these things.  The price swing can be significant and apparently varies with vendor and the point in time that you order.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2021 at 8:35 PM, gee-dub said:

It really pays to shop around on these things. 

This seems to becoming more and more the case.  Just this morning I was pricing something out and was looking at two pretty big names retail wise and saw a $100 price difference. :o

15 years in my previous concrete shop without issue.  I do wear good footwear so I pretty much carry my "good floor" with me.  I also use rubber mats in areas where I stand for periods.

The original plan was to put an epoxy finish on the whole thing. That got taken off the list for a few reasons.  Even with that I would still need good shoes/boots and mats.

I am not discounting the value of a wood floor on sleepers or other flexible solution.  Different things are important to different people.  So far this hasn't been a problem for me.  Kudos to my mom who harangued me into a life long habit of good posture ;)

If it becomes an issue as I push 80 I can always lay in a wood floor . . . famous last words ;-)

• Haha 1