New Shop Thread

gee-dub

Looking great, Glenn!

Seeing the cyclone brought a question to mind. One of the industrial dust collectors at work has just a small collection "sump" at the bottom, with an automatic gate that opens between machine cycles to empty into a mobile bin below. No need to disconnect a sealed barrel or have a flexible link between the chute and barrel. The bin is already on a cart, just roll it away to dump at will. Anyone ever seen a similar setup in a hobby shop DC system?

On 8/13/2021 at 7:44 PM, wtnhighlander said:

Looking great, Glenn!

Seeing the cyclone brought a question to mind. One of the industrial dust collectors at work has just a small collection "sump" at the bottom, with an automatic gate that opens between machine cycles to empty into a mobile bin below. No need to disconnect a sealed barrel or have a flexible link between the chute and barrel. The bin is already on a cart, just roll it away to dump at will. Anyone ever seen a similar setup in a hobby shop DC system?

No but that would be awesome!! The worst dust issue I have is jacking around getting the lid disconnected and taking the bag out.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2021 at 7:44 PM, wtnhighlander said:

Looking great, Glenn!

On 8/14/2021 at 10:44 AM, pkinneb said:

No but that would be awesome!! The worst dust issue I have is jacking around getting the lid disconnected and taking the bag out.

Here ya go.
https://www.oneida-air.com/10-1ph-direct-drive-rotary-air-lock-valve

Now don't shoot the messenger, I didn't set the price ;).

On 8/14/2021 at 10:05 PM, gee-dub said:

The guy is a machine.  He has helped out a lot with this project.  I also took the older and discolored fittings I have had for years and gave them a squirt with the HVLP.  Zinsser makes a PVC friendly waterborne product.

Man this is awesome. Makes me want to tear my system apart to paint it. I hate the bright green sewer pipe look.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Here ya go.
https://www.oneida-air.com/10-1ph-direct-drive-rotary-air-lock-valve

Now don't shoot the messenger, I didn't set the price ;).

That's not bad for a commercial unit. The one at work has a pneumatic cylinder, operating a sliding gate. Of course, the blower on that one is 150hp, and the baghouse is bigger than my shop.

:o

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gee-dub said:

Let's keep it clean

Did you get any permitting grief about installing a sink in the shop?  When I built my shop, the county declined my permit because they were concerned that we would turn the building into a living space for rent.  I took the sink out of the plans.  

One of the benefits of PVC is it being easy to change. Gluing it together would remove that advantage. I am using a vinyl tape made by 3M for irregular duct connections. It is very good at bridging the differences between the hub and pipe connection point diameters on this stuff.A6B8D19E-A940-4EEE-A444-66A2456EDD7E.thumb.jpeg.568ff4868ff4613dedffcaf16118005f.jpeg

• Like 2