New Shop Thread

gee-dub

@wtnhighlanderThis is encouraging.  I have heard varying reports but, of course, the units being reported on varied as well.  My unit is optimistically rated by the maker at 75db with no distance or other data given for this number.  I can tell you from running it in the old shop for years that the moving air noise does drown out the machine noise and 75db it ain't :rolleyes:.  In the spirit of "what happens if I do nothing" engineering I will try it piped straight first :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Must be a LOT of those mini-splits being sold, for a third party to supply such an oddly specific accessory!

I'm pretty sure it is me that is odd ;-)  It is just a 5/16" male flare to a 1/4" NPT.  If I had ordered it when I ordered everything else all would be well.  The manual even says "or use an adapter, sold separately".

I was unable to source one at a BORG, ACE, Auto parts, etc.  Even the local HVAC place, although readily familiar with what I wanted and why, had none in stock :(

Another problem is getting what the label says something is.  I had this problem with bearings from China; right part number, right data sheet, wrong dimensions(???)  The adapter should be here Thursday.

Thank goodness the previous and current administration closely monitored opportunistic price gouging and protected us consumers :D.  I have changed many things about how I was going about this build and have scratched a few upgrades of tools off the list due to paying over $2 a board foot for construction lumber and $60 a sheet for OSB :angry:

• Like 1

We are seeing a few stories like that out of the respected outlets that report on such things.  WSJ for example.  These are reports on trends which have not yet filtered down.  My lumber yard prices react more quickly that the local BORGs.  If I had to build any shop fixtures right away and didn't normally foot the bill for baltic birch I certainly would today.  The prices between BB ply and BORG junk are so close right now.

12 hours ago, Tom King said:

I hate to think what the value cost of that little pile of framing materials is.

That cost me about what I had budgeted for the finished shed shell (not counting the concrete and electrical). :o

• Like 1