New Shop Thread

gee-dub

I agree about windows being in the way, but with 10' walls, I think I might consider some transome-style windows near the eaves. No artificial light system can replicate the sun. In my region, the ventillation would also be nice, maybe not so much where you are.

That is going to be an awesome work space, Glenn, congrats!

• Like 1

For a window in the North, 40 foot wall on the next shop I'm planning to build off the side of an existing building here, I'm planning one fixed glass window, 10"x10", right at my face height.  I want to be able to see that direction, if I need to.

I've never had roof decking inspected here.

Thanks guys.  No new tools BUT I will be able to use the tools I have without climbing over ones I am not currently operating :D.  The inspection failed.  The builder ignored specific noted items from the previous inspection.  Although the inspector remained pleasant to me you could tell he wasn't happy about it.  He switched to laser-focus mode and things that didn't bother him before, now do. . .. and there was sadness in all the land . . .

• Sad 4

7 hours ago, gee-dub said:

Thanks guys.  No new tools BUT I will be able to use the tools I have without climbing over ones I am not currently operating :D.  The inspection failed.  The builder ignored specific noted items from the previous inspection.  Although the inspector remained pleasant to me you could tell he wasn't happy about it.  He switched to laser-focus mode and things that didn't bother him before, now do. . .. and there was sadness in all the land . . .

The inspector obviously  found things that you didn’t see and the contractor ignored. Albeit a pita, I’m sure you would rather it be done according to code and specs before the contractor gets final payment and walks? Having done a recent remodel and with some knowledge of construction, I always looked forward to the inspector looking over the contractors shoulder. This is a huge investment and should be done right. 

• Like 1

Too true Coop.  In my previous garage-shop I did all the wiring to the current NEC for that time even though the work was not done with a permit.  The geek in me dies hard.  I'm more comfortable following directions and standards.  Especially in areas that are not my area of expertise ;-)

I should be careful not to make the builder out to be a bad guy.  They have really worked their tails off on this thing.  Unfortunately when it comes to certain phases of the project, one aw-shucks can trump a barrel of atta-boys.  Like anything, hind-sight is crystal clear.  Tuff-Shed gave the builder outdated plans.  I still haven't figured out why the builder wasn't using the approved plans but they executed on the plans supplied.

I happened to notice there was no structure for the ridge vent.  This is when the builder showed me plans that were superseded in July last year.  They tried valiantly to make up for this in one day.  They worked until after sundown which was their mistake.  A crew will be here today to fix a list of issues.  Door landings that were to be picked up as part of a future slab pour are now "gotta-haves" so I will need to get that done before things get signed off; a waste of good concrete.

I hope things don't spill over onto the electrical contractor who is to finish his build out next week.

• Like 1