What's on the bench.

Chestnut

9 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Rope, or cable? I have a bike hanging from a length of clothesline in my garage. Been there about a decade. I fully expect it to fall on my head every time I walk under it.

Using 5/16 or 3/8 nylon rope its rated for 200 lbs safe working load. I'll have it rigged with a 2:1 pulley system. I figured it'd put the shelf capacity at 400 lbs. I doubt it'll have more than 200 though. So at that math each stand of rope would only have 25 lbs of tension.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2021 at 12:15 AM, Coop said:

Nice tight joints on the pic frame! What kind of wood? 

What’s the story behind the pic? Did your sister paint in? 

Thank you. I tested it a lot before I did it on the actual wood. I enjoy making frames so I might make a dedicated sled.

It's maple with some color in it. The back side was plainer but somehow one of those miters seemed off it became the back. My wife said plain mitered frame with light wood.

Picture is a painting we saw on our annual family vacation. They just bought a house and need some artwork.

My Aunt and Uncle were in town for the shower and he saw the spurtle I made for Mother's Day and wants one now.

1 hour ago, legenddc said:

My Aunt and Uncle were in town for the shower and he saw the spurtle I made for Mother's Day and wants one now.

Your going to tumble down a rabbit hole....

I also like the frame and picture. I like the character that the heartwood of maple provides. It can be very pretty despite not being "popular" maple with sap wood can be pretty affordable as well.

On 9/4/2021 at 8:35 AM, Chestnut said:

Your going to tumble down a rabbit hole....

I also like the frame and picture. I like the character that the heartwood of maple provides. It can be very pretty despite not being "popular" maple with sap wood can be pretty affordable as well.

Well aware. Need to get started on my next big project to generate some more scraps. I need to tune up my bandsaw some and/or get a new belt to make the sanding go quicker.

I really like the frame. Still have more wood leftover so I might make another one for myself.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I thought about putting a dowel into it or using a domino, but those required a little too much measuring and planning for the timeline I had for the project. In the end, I just used a decent sized screw through the top and down into the support. I held the support in place and traced around where it contacts the top, drilled a pilot hole up from the bottom, then chamfered the top and drove the screws.

Before I attached the supports I tested it by putting a lot of my weight on the center of the shelf and there was little sag. With the shelf screwed into the ledger strips all the way around and the 1.5” maple edging, it’s pretty rigid. The supports may help with the long term life of it. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/3/2021 at 9:50 AM, Immortan D said:

Right now my wrenches are on my bench. I spent a good part of the weekend cleaning them and painting the engravings to improve visibility.

20211003_100815.thumb.jpg.8001a917b2f327778d22d62a5e5826a1.jpg

Those are some nice looking wrenches! I just picked up a SK 1/4" socket drive screwdriver from Habitat for Humanity for $.50. Wish they had more SK stuff.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2021 at 8:24 AM, Chestnut said:

Quickly made another fishing rod holder for a friend. We've been fishing a lot and off handed mentioned his rod storage stinks. Made from fence picket scraps from my wood storage project.

0829211350-01.thumb.jpeg.2b1c07e1d7d1f1e98058c85aac5abf2f.jpeg

I've made 2 similar holders. I've never found a point in a support above the reel. The angled bottom locks the rod in quite nice.

Wish I had room for one. Turned out nice.

• Thanks 1