What's on the bench.

Chestnut

1 hour ago, treeslayer said:

Nice work Drew, am I correct in assuming that when a breadboard end is done they are never mitered ?

Thanks, um I'm not sure, i can't say. I've honestly never seen string inlay on large tables before. In my design i searched for cross grain guidance for inlay and it was inconclusive. I figured it's better safe than sorry. The table is 42" wide so I expect it to move a significant amount.

On 4/27/2022 at 9:35 AM, Chestnut said:

left it about 1/16" proud and used the router to remove the rest. Some sanding is required to make everything perfectly flat but that didn't take long with 120 grit.

Drew.  I usually cut the stringing so that after inserting the stringing in a 1/16" grove the string is only 1/32 to 1/16" proud.   I use a block plane if the grain cooperates and then a card scraper then sanding (320 grit) if needed.  If the grain does not cooperate i just use the card scraper at an angle to the grain of the stringing.  Note:  I have only worked with stringing that is 1/32" ro 1/16" wide.   Looks great.  Good work.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ronn W said:

Drew.  I usually cut the stringing so that after inserting the stringing in a 1/16" grove the string is only 1/32 to 1/16" proud.   I use a block plane if the grain cooperates and then a card scraper then sanding (320 grit) if needed.  If the grain does not cooperate i just use the card scraper at an angle to the grain of the stringing.  Note:  I have only worked with stringing that is 1/32" ro 1/16" wide.   Looks great.  Good work.

I made the inlay material myself and didn't really have a good way to rip the thickness of a 55" long flexible piece. my band saw is prone to tearing the underside pretty baldly. I figured it wouldn't be an issue, it was. next time I'll make the groove a bit deeper and make sure the material is better sized to the groove depth. I was initially worried that 1/8" was going to be too wide but with the size of the table top it's rather fitting.

The process was effective and leaves me wanting to try some 1/16" string inlay. I have the bit already but processing the inlay material down that thin may be tricky. I'll have to do some research. I suppose a drum sander sled would accomplish it pretty easily.

On 4/27/2022 at 1:10 PM, Chestnut said:

The process was effective and leaves me wanting to try some 1/16" string inlay. I have the bit already but processing the inlay material down that thin may be tricky. I'll have to do some research. I suppose a drum sander sled would accomplish it pretty easily.

Yeah, 1/16 consistant thickness requires a thicknessing tool.  They can be bought or made. I think I have some notes on making one somewhere.  Another way is to use a triple thickness of 1/42" commmercial veneer = .0714" = approx 1/16".  I know that it looks like it would be too thick but I have done that successfully with dyed colored veneer from Woodcraft.  ( Their veneer is not very long ) You don't need to glue the 3 pieces together.  Just insert all 3 at the same time.  Try a white in between 2 black strips.  Message me if you want sketches on making a thicknesser and I will look for my notes - no limit to length with this tool.

• Like 2

Finally got to do some woodworking yesterday. Went to our community woodshop to mill up some boards I'm using for a bed frame. Figured it would be easier to use their 12" jointer on 8"x80" boards and a floor standing Powermatic planer compared to my 6" jointer and lunchbox planer. Just barely squeaked by with the length for how that shop is set up. I did have to push a guy out of the way so he didn't get hit by one of my boards coming out of the planer.

The workshop is a great place for small projects but anything involving long boards is tough to do there. It was nice to see that there were 7+ people there using it, mostly for smaller projects like bandsaw boxes and one guy was on the lathe.

• Like 1

$10 for 3 hours sure makes it a lot easier to get started! No CNC at this one. There is another makerspace around here you can join but it's a fairly expensive monthly fee and not something you can start/stop as you please. I believe we also have a ceramics and glass workshop too but I haven't checked them out yet.

Forgot to say I got my Wen air filter hung up yesterday after work before the kids got home. Was hoping to get the shop cleaned up but we lost power from 6:30-10 so nothing got done. No idea what happened with the power, 300ish places lost power. Only our 3rd time in 10 years I think and we had mild weather so can't really complain.

On 5/5/2022 at 8:18 AM, legenddc said:

Forgot to say I got my Wen air filter hung up yesterday after work before the kids got home. Was hoping to get the shop cleaned up but we lost power from 6:30-10 so nothing got done. No idea what happened with the power, 300ish places lost power. Only our 3rd time in 10 years I think and we had mild weather so can't really complain.

I've been eyeing a couple of the bigger Wens for my shop, so I'd be interested in hearing your experience with yours.

13 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

@drzaius, I hope you detail your process in a journal. Complimentary curve fitment has eluded me so far. Plenty of instruction on YT, but I'm missing something.

Yes, when it's finished I'll post a bit of a build thread detailing how I did that door.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/6/2022 at 1:33 AM, BonPacific said:

I've been eyeing a couple of the bigger Wens for my shop, so I'd be interested in hearing your experience with yours.

My air meter showed up yesterday out of the blue so I’ll hopefully have some results soon. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Got back down to the shop in what feels like forever last night. Was nice to be back but I find myself moving slower. Taking pictures of the dust sensor isn't helping either. Tonight will be some sanding so another good test for that and then I'll put the results up in dust management topic.

Rockler is having some website issues and a lot of their PDFs aren't working so I can't download the instructions for the bed rail brackets I ordered. They said they're hoping it will be up by tomorrow. If not I guess I'll have some experimenting to do.

• Like 2

On 5/9/2022 at 6:14 PM, treeslayer said:

Yeah it’s just you Drew ;), you didn’t run across the tube of cut off discs for my Dremmel tool did you ? Been looking for them for a year, I even bought new ones thinking they would show up but even that didn’t work 

They must be hiding witht he 2 packs of table 8's that I bought and can't find.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1