What's on the bench.

Chestnut

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! She wanted it to match the side table to the left of her bed and after she redid her flooring changed her mind on the color. Felt wrong staining cherry black but it ended up an almost perfect match.

I followed Matt Cremona's finishing process and soaked the rag in mineral spirits before the last coat of ArmRSeal and was amazed at how nice it came out. Glad I got to test that out and will use it on my TV stand.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2022 at 10:57 AM, Chestnut said:

Hazel is for all intents and purposes sleeping through the night, in 2 hour shifts with feedings in between. This results in waking up 3 times a night to change the diaper and feed.

Don’t worry, the sleepless nights come later :P

The docs/nurses make a big deal about making sure they feed every 2hrs at night, but it doesn’t really need to be that strict. Unless there are other issues, she’ll wake up crying when she is hungry. As long as she’s meeting the growth targets, you’re fine. We tried the 2hr thing with my daughter and she’d just fall back asleep instead of feeding. None of our three kids ate that regularly and we’d enjoy the extra sleep when they would sleep in longer stretches. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnG said:

Don’t worry, the sleepless nights come later :P

The docs/nurses make a big deal about making sure they feed every 2hrs at night, but it doesn’t really need to be that strict. Unless there are other issues, she’ll wake up crying when she is hungry. As long as she’s meeting the growth targets, you’re fine. We tried the 2hr thing with my daughter and she’d just fall back asleep instead of feeding. None of our three kids ate that regularly and we’d enjoy the extra sleep when they would sleep in longer stretches. 

It's more of a 3 hour from beginning to beginning of feedings but that works out to 2 hours of sleep so it takes us 10 hours to get 8 hours of sleep. The last few nights i wake up to a very loud BM and then fussing almost perfectly timed. I let it go for a while to see if she'll go back to sleep but never does. I try and grab her before it gets to crying as she gets her self worked up and it goes from fussing to screaming for 2 hours. It's just easier to not let it get to screaming. Also the frequency is more for mom's comfort than babies stomach. I'll never know what a clogged milk duct feels like.

My 3M work tunes are getting some good use. When she is inconsolable i just pop on an audiobook and do my best to comfort her. I now also understand why our family members over 60 all have hearing aids.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pam breastfed, so we just put the tiny ones in bed with us, and she could feed them without waking up completely.

First one was a Preemie, so Pam had to pump while he was in the hospital.  She got so good at massaging a clog out that we never have a dog that gets mastitis now.  She can handle it quickly.  We stayed in the hospital as much as we could, so Pam could feed him.  One old Nurse finally told the Doctor in charge to let us take that baby home.  He was the only, or at least the first baby they let leave the hospital weighing less than 5 pounds.

He's 39 now, and a fine, strapping specimen of a man.

• Like 2

On 8/8/2022 at 4:11 PM, Chestnut said:

My 3M work tunes are getting some good use. When she is inconsolable i just pop on an audiobook and do my best to comfort her. I now also understand why our family members over 60 all have hearing aids.

Yep, been there too! Some people think there’s always a “fix” or a specific reason that they are crying. But sometimes babies just cry and there’s nothing that will fix it other than time. 

My Best friends Son screamed pretty much non-stop for two years.  He (the Son) works for NASA now, too.  Their fix for the screaming baby problem was not to have another one, on purpose.

We were Lucky.  Both of ours were quiet children.  I don't remember either of them ever crying.  Our Daughter didn't even cry when she was born.  The Doctor and Nurses were really worried about her, but we weren't.  They're both musicians, so can hear just fine.

14 hours ago, JohnG said:

Yep, been there too! Some people think there’s always a “fix” or a specific reason that they are crying. But sometimes babies just cry and there’s nothing that will fix it other than time. 

I'd be willing to bet money it's been gas.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2022 at 4:11 PM, Chestnut said:

Picturing you wearing those and holding a baby makes me laugh. Our kids weren't that loud but for some reason my daughter would only stop crying if we were standing. I hope she's turned the corner for you and is sleeping more now.

My wife and I often debate if people with or without kids have worse hearing later in life. Figure those without kids have more time to spend at loud bars, concerts, etc.

On 8/23/2022 at 6:50 AM, legenddc said:

Took my class at Rockler and turned a pizza cutter handle. Super easy using carbide tools. I think if I had initially bought them instead of traditional ones I would have actually made some things by now. 

Spent the last couple of days looking at lathe accessories. I need a Jacobs chuck and either a drill press or 4 jaw chuck.

Looks nice! Those are great pizza cutters.

Lathe tooling is a deep and slippery well. I picked up the standard 1/2" jacobs chuck that Rockler sells and have no complaints. Took a 3" forstner no problem.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, legenddc said:

Spent the last couple of days looking at lathe accessories. I need a Jacobs chuck and either a drill press or 4 jaw chu

I have a cheap drill press chuck from amazon and a 4 jaw i feel they are an and buy not an or. There are some drilling operations that are just easier to do on the lathe but are difficult with out the 4 jaw.

6 hours ago, legenddc said:

Picturing you wearing those and holding a baby makes me laugh. Our kids weren't that loud but for some reason my daughter would only stop crying if we were standing. I hope she's turned the corner for you and is sleeping more now.

My wife and I often debate if people with or without kids have worse hearing later in life. Figure those without kids have more time to spend at loud bars, concerts, etc.

She triggered tanitus worse then my trim routers. She's turning a corner 6 weeks is this Friday and from all reports that's when things improve. Night times so far are her best periods so I'm getting a good 7 hours of sleep each night though it's between 8pm and 7am....

• Haha 2