What's on the bench.

Chestnut

2 minutes ago, legenddc said:

Has anyone used these bed rail brackets or something similar they could recommend? I might be making a bedframe to go around one of those fancy adjustable beds to connect to an existing headboard so this wouldn't be support any weight.

You might touch base with @CoopI think he has used them or something like that 

• Like 1

On 1/15/2022 at 3:44 PM, Bmac said:

I plan to move into some lipped lures next, studying those now, they are alittle more difficult, where and how much you weight them is critical. 

If you make some lipped lures share. I could easily get into this. I'd probably try and make shad style lures, which aren't expensive but home made sounds like a lot more fun.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

@Bmac, are the hooks on a lure connected to each other and the front eyelet via an internal wire or are they independently screwed to the body and are only as strong as the screw itself? I suspect the later? On bigger fish, that just seems like a lot of stress on a small screw. 

• Like 1

Anyone familiar with the kids books If You Give a Mouse a Cookie? Pretty much defines my woodworking lately.

Yesterday I modified the holder I use with my dad's taper jig. I think I'll need to take the time at some point to make an adjustable one. Got it done, tested the taper on a spare leg and got approval from the boss. Of course the offcut fell into the slot and shot down into the saw. Thankfully I was aware it could happen and was well out of the way but wasn't about to test my luck with 8 tapers.

Cut out a rough blank for a new ZCI. Installed the new router I bought at the end of the year into the router lift and got that ready for tonight to cut it to size. Will have to route out the protrusions on the saw as well before work can proceed. And will need to put on a dado blade to start the slot.

On 2/9/2022 at 4:02 PM, gee-dub said:

Wait, people on here run saws without ZCI's??? :D

Yup.

I think since I do crosscuts with an Incra Miter Express I've avoided making one. Maybe? Just too much to do and I've been trying to focus on furniture not shop things. Might have to take a break and crank out some shop stuff here soon.

• Like 1

The off cut is part of the reason i cut tapers on the band saw. I usually cut them freehand to the line because I'm too lazy to make a jig.

I've learned that plywood for ZCIs is the way to go. I kept getting my solid wood ones stuck in the opening in the summer when the wood would expand. My only other hangup is that I have a hard time getting all my inserts to sit flush with the cast iron.

• Like 2

That makes sense. I cut them once on a bandsaw but it was pretty early on in my woodworking hobby. I need to figure out why my bandsaw doesn't cut very smoothly and fix it.

Fortunately I was able to use the dado ZCI to set the depth of the router bit for this one. I'd like to find a negative form of the saw protrusions so I could use a flush trim bit and crank any future ones out quickly.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2022 at 4:32 PM, JohnG said:

Speaking of… I just got notification that it shipped! Ordered a resawking blade for it, too. 

What kind are you getting?

Went to a fairly new lumber yard/sawmill this weekend. They've only been in business for 3 or 4 years but have a ton of equipment, lots of inventory and ability to mill things. Starting to have things S3S ready to be purchased for the same price as rough. 

Biggest downside besides being just over an hour away from me is most of their boards are 12' and my wife's SUV only fits 8'. Need to plan ahead some for that as I'm used to boards being closer to 8'. They were nice enough to cut them down for me on a miter saw but I bring my cordless jigsaw just in case.