Time to upgrade bandsaw

collinb

Sold the old Porter Cable yesterday. Took a little hit but not too much after using it (lightly) for 4 years.

Have my eyes on the Laguna 1412.  I'm staying with 14" because, well, expense. With this I'll get (1) larger table, (2) standard 3/4 slot, (3) more resaw height, and (4) quick-release blade. I'll add an outfeed table to it.

What holds my attention is having the blade quick-release. (The older I get the more convenience I need to make projects go more quickly. Why spend half my time adjusting tools instead of using them?)

Read one review, a few years old, that says it comes without a "shelf" but I can't find anything else with that criticism, let alone what the supposed "shelf" is.

And fortunately the dealer has 115" Resaw King and other Laguna blades in stock. I'll get everything in one place.

Would have considered the Jet but for the lack of quick release. It also has a nice big table and I like that it has two miter slots (not for any reason, just do) and a heftier fence. But I tire of cranking and cranking and cranking to change blades.

Anything else I should consider?

• Like 1

I would look closely at the Harvey Ambassador C14 before taking the plunge. It is a little more money at the moment,but in certain aspects, a lot more saw. Rumor has it that Harvey runs sales that may drop it below the Laguna price, but I haven't watched that closely. The Laguna may be better suited to your needs in the end, but since you asked ...

• Like 1

On 3/11/2022 at 7:42 PM, wtnhighlander said:

I would look closely at the Harvey Ambassador C14 before taking the plunge. It is a little more money at the moment,but in certain aspects, a lot more saw. Rumor has it that Harvey runs sales that may drop it below the Laguna price, but I haven't watched that closely. The Laguna may be better suited to your needs in the end, but since you asked ...

I saw it at $1650-$1700 at the end of 2021 (holiday sale). Haven’t seen it below that but I was watching the Alpha more closely. 

• Like 2

The 14/12 has been an awesome addition to our shop. I haven’t had any issues with changing the blade from the RK to a more delicate blade so I’m not 100% sure what they’re talking about with all the cranking. Basically set up the machine in a few hours, tuned for about another 2 hours and haven’t had to touch anything since. 

• Like 1

On 3/12/2022 at 1:59 PM, Askland09 said:

I’m not 100% sure what they’re talking about with all the cranking.

They’re talking about bandsaws that don’t have a quick release lever for the blade tension. Without the quick release you have to crank the tensioner knob to release tension, swap blades, then crank it to tension the blade.

With the quick release lever you really only have to slightly adjust the tension for the thinner/wider blade.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2022 at 1:31 PM, JohnG said:

They’re talking about bandsaws that don’t have a quick release lever for the blade tension. Without the quick release you have to crank the tensioner knob to release tension, swap blades, then crank it to tension the blade.

With the quick release lever you really only have to slightly adjust the tension for the thinner/wider blade.

I know you are supposed to do this but I have to confess in 30 years and 3 bandsaws I have never done this :o

• Like 1

I took a look at it online. IIRC yesterday it was $1,899 but today it's $2,199. Significantly out of my range. But impressive. And the features it has are well worth the price. Like the brake. But for the low-volume user I think it's too much.

But I also looked again at the Jet. It shares many features with the Harvey like the guide bearing adjustments. +Jet

The fence is better than the Laguna. But the fence "rail" I think might collect more dust and become more of a pain than the simple chrome bar on both the Laguna and the Harvey. So the fence is a wash. +-

I work with an old machinist who was impressed by the ceramic guides. But he does metal work. I wonder how critical those are for woodworking, though. Still, a feature in Laguna's favor.   +Laguna

All of them have great dust collection. Nothing there to worry about. +=

Or one might say that there is no bad choice here. Two excellent pieces of hardware. The question is which one will serve me better.

• Like 2

If you like the Harvey keep an eye on it. Not sure why but Harvey changes pricing like I change socks it’s almost like it’s tied to commodity availability or something.

re ceramic guides I think they are really subjective a personal taste I love them but have them on both my Laguna saws so definitely biased

One brand I had neglected to consider is the Grizzly. It's like the Jet but with an actual blade storage area. But still a few hundred dollars extra. Has the foot brake.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-14-super-hd-2-hp-resaw-bandsaw-with-foot-brake/g0817

I think I'll probably stick with the Jet. Again, no bad choices.

I just purchased a Grizzly GO 817. I really wanted to buy the Laguna 1412, but the soonest that it would be shipped was April 30 and i need to get moving on some projects. I wanted to buy an American made product but that was almost impossible. I settled for one made in Taiwan (a least it's not mainland China).

• Like 1

From what is shown online this is awesome equipment.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

The biggest attraction of the C14, for me, is the resaw depth and hp

Your probably the exception here but how many times have you needed 14" of resaw when 13" wasn't enough? :P Re saws over 10" start to get really difficult and I often just make the material narrower. There is also the jointing and planing needed to resaw 14".

The 2.75hp motor on my Laguna is really nice. Carbide takes a bit more power than traditional band saw blades.

• Like 1

I put my guide up to max height and 14” exposed 3/4” blade is kinda scary! Can’t see myself using the full 14” on solid hardwood, but maybe to cut the top off a box or something similar where the clearance is needed but you aren’t engaging the whole height. 

On 3/17/2022 at 12:17 PM, collinb said:

But I think I'll throw together a little lever to make turning it easier

Don't over think this.  Its not really necessary, after you tighten the first blade you put on your saw, you will only be using the knob to fine tune the tension from blade to blade.  The main tension will come from the lever on the back side.

Release the lever on the back to change a blade, push the lever back up to tension the new blade and adjust as needed with the knob.  Easy Pesy.

• Like 1