Continuous Arm Windsor Rockler

pkinneb

The chair is amazing! As I doubt that I will ever build one or have the ability todo so,I do see milk paint in my foreseeable future as my wife frequents Etsy and Pinterest more than she does our kitchen so you have my continued attention. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/8/2022 at 6:05 AM, wtnhighlander said:

Which brand of milk paint are you using? Always interesting to see how different brands cover.

I am using The Real Milk Paint Company paint and will be going with a 2:1 vs 1:1 ratio to allow the grain of the wood to come through a bit better. This was suggested by Greg in the class.

• Thanks 1

I've seen some really old ones (Windsors-not rockers)  that have been used for a couple of hundred years.  They had many coats of paint over a few centuries, and the wear spots show multiple colors of paint where they get worn down through the surface.  I saw one that had blue, yellow, red, and black must have been the latest most popular color, because they all had an old coat of black on the top.  I probably have 35mm pictures of them buried in a drawer somewhere here.

These were in Prestwould house before its restoration started.  I would think they still have them there.  No one had lived in it for a long time, and it was just left open.  We were surprised then, probably late '70's, that no one had stolen those chairs, or any of the other furniture in it.  

https://www.virginia.org/listing/prestwould-plantation/241/

I don't think the really old ones were painted with milk paint.  I think it's just the closest thing that looks like the old ones.  They may have somewhere, but I'm pretty sure all the old ones around here were painted with some sort of oil paint.  They used to sell pigments in local stores that people could mix with linseed oil to make paint.  Cans weren't invented until the Civil War. 

Some of those pigments were Very toxic.  Painters typically mixed it in their hands.  There was a common affliction called "Painters' Palsy".  I expect that's why they looked for a paint that looked similar.

• Thanks 1

On 7/11/2022 at 11:25 PM, Coop said:

With a brush, did you concern yourself with uneven coverage or streaks?

No for a couple reasons first these are really thin coats so not a big chance to streak in the first please but since I will sand/ steel wool between each coat if it does happen I should be able to correct it there. Having said that this is my first time doing this so still learning :)