Interior Wall Options for a Basement Shop

Mark J

Let's assume that I was putting up walls to divide a basement into a workshop and unfinished space.  I am envisioning a stud wall, what are the options for sheathing the workshop side?  Dry wall and plywood, of course, and I've heard of T1-11 (plywood vs OSB & smooth vs rough texture).  What else should I look into?  I like the idea of a material that will hold a random nail or screw.  

I am assuming the wall is un-insulated and un-sheathed on the unfinished basement side.  The walls along the foundation would be insulated.

Dry wall would be the cheapest option, that is what I have in my shop I use french cleats to hang things on the wall. If I need to go between studs to hang something I use toggle bolts for the french cleat they hold hundreds of pounds of weight bigger toggles even hold more. But if money is no issue wood sheeting is the ticket for sure. 

I have drywall and t1-11 in my shop,both painted, and there is absolutely no difference in how they collect dust or how easy it is to clean.  Compressed air doesn't care how smooth the surface is.  T1-11 goes up faster but sucks up more paint.  It really just comes down to what you want it to look like.

• Like 2

On 12/9/2022 at 6:55 PM, Coop said:

Doesn’t all T1-11 have grooves? I would think that equal thickness ply would be comparable in price and easier to clean? I currently have sheetrock and wouldn’t have anything else if I had it to do otherwise. There’s a stud somewhere! :D

All has grooves, but I've definitely encountered some with smoother (maybe b-grade?) surface vs the common rough-sawn version. More like "plybead" but thicker. Haven't seen anything like it in stores in years though, so it might not be available any more.

Edit: As for the main topic, practically it's pretty much just drywall or plywood. You could look at tongue-and-groove or shiplap siding if money is no object. FRP on the other hand is easy to clean, great for hobbies that involve a lot of grease or oils, but you'd probably want to put it over top of another substrate for rigidity and it's not ideal if you'll be putting holes in it everywhere.

• Thanks 1

Here, 5/8 drywall is $13 ea and 5/8 T1-11 is $43 ea.

With those prices in mind, I’d probably try to do most of it drywall and then strategically place T1-11 in a couple areas.

Not considering cost, I’d do T1-11 throughout. 

edited to specify T1-11 thickness.

• Thanks 1

Drywall is no more difficult to hang than T1-11, except for the possibility of breakage from rough handling. In a finished & painted space, there is the need to tape and mud the seams, then sand. But for a shop, you can choose to skip those steps.

Also, a little forethough can direct you to add 2x blocking between the studs in locations most likely to receive a heavy hanging load, so there is something stronger than drywall to drive your screws into.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would tape drywall every time I use it. That is step one, and does not need to look perfect. Dust will migrate through every crack. Honestly, I’d finish the drywall and paint it. The paint cleans a lot easier than the paper. For a one room shop, you might have a friend who would finish it for a steak. 

Edit: I am only clarifying, not necessarily pushing toward drywall use. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have 1/2" drywall.  Since I have an exposed concret floot, Imad a mark on the floor at each stud location for future reference in hanging things.  For light objects I just put a 1 1/2" drywalls crew into the sheetrock and hang whatever it is that I am hanging.  Only heavier objects nee to be attache to the studs.

• Thanks 1