Quieter Dust Collector?

Mark J

I have a Laguna 3HP P-Flux dust collector in my basement workshop.  Despite the added sound insulation of the P series, it is loud.  Working at the airport loud.  I always wear hearing protection when running it, which I can live with, but you hear this thing all over the house (even the second floor).  So I've been wondering if I could find something quieter.  

What is the quietest DC out there?  Oneida Supercell?

I'd be willing to step down the horsepower, indeed there would be advantages to 120V power over 240V.  Locating the DC outside the house, or even outside the workshop is not an option.  

Any thoughts?

I think if the unit and filter are in the space where you work its going to be too loud. I don't ever plan on moving but if I do I will have a have a separate soundproof room for the filter unit and the dust collector in the mean time my answer is more handtool work :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I built a dedicated room in the basement, adjacent to my garage shop for the DC and compressor. It is a room within a room framing with double 5/8" drywall & Greenglue on both sides, and rock wool insulation. If I'm standing more than a meter away from the door, I can't tell if the DC is running or not.

• Like 1

My chief concern is not so much how loud it is in the shop, but how loud it is in the rest of the house (though the two are related).  I'm just hoping that there's some technology out there that performs with a little less noise, hence the question about the Supercell.

@drzaius (and others with DC "closets"), how did/do you manage air exchange?

image.gif

22 hours ago, Mark J said:

My chief concern is not so much how loud it is in the shop, but how loud it is in the rest of the house (though the two are related).  I'm just hoping that there's some technology out there that performs with a little less noise, hence the question about the Supercell.

@drzaius (and others with DC "closets"), how did/do you manage air exchange?

image.gif

I have a 30" x 6" duct with a dog leg and elbow in it and lined with acoustic duct liner. 

I have a dust gorilla pro and it's pretty quiet. That said you can hear it around the house but it's more of a low rumble than loud and annoying. The loudest part of the collector is the air rushing in the open ports though the unit it's self is relatively quiet.

I don't think the supercell would be quieter than what you have. Maybe just a different pitch of sound. It's probably better to try and do some sound proofing as moving large quantities of air is going to produce noise, cause physics.

I posted on a couple of forums with generally the same feedback, dust collectors suck, and they make a lot of noise doing it. As Don said, the Supercell is actually louder (but may be more effective).  So no magic solution.  I could go lower HP or build an enclosure.  Probably just continue putting up with it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/11/2023 at 2:04 PM, Mark J said:

I have a Laguna 3HP P-Flux dust collector in my basement workshop.  Despite the added sound insulation of the P series, it is loud.  Working at the airport loud.  I always wear hearing protection when running it, which I can live with, but you hear this thing all over the house (even the second floor).  So I've been wondering if I could find something quieter.  

What is the quietest DC out there?  Oneida Supercell?

I'd be willing to step down the horsepower, indeed there would be advantages to 120V power over 240V.  Locating the DC outside the house, or even outside the workshop is not an option.  

Any thoughts?

If it's not too late to reply I'll throw in my two cents. I have Rocklers newish DC "Dust Right" 1250 CC. It's significantly quieter than the 2 smaller ones it replaced. 

Maybe go into a store if there's one accessible to you and see if it's any quieter than what you have now? 

• Like 1