Drawer Box Thickness

TomInNC

It seems like recommendations are all over the place on how thick the material for drawer boxes should be. I have 2 books that say you should use 1/2 " on the sides and back and 1/4" on the bottom. Another book says to use 1/2" on the sides, 1/4" on the bottom, and 3/4" or 5/8" on the front/back. I've seen people on the forums claiming 1/4" bottoms are too flimsy for drawers that hold anything even remotely heavy. 

The drawers I need to build will hold silverware, snacks, and some glassware. Is 1/2" on the front/back with a 1/4 bottom enough to hold glasses? Or should I beef up the bottom and/or sides?

I plan on constructing the boxes using box joints with the panel captured in a groove. 

1. Will the drawer have a false front? Assuming it will if you are using box joints. I would use 1/2” on all four sides of the box. 
2. What size is the drawer? If not unusually large, I think 1/4” bottom should be fine.

Do you cut your box joints on a table saw? I cut mine on the router table with a jig and it doesn’t do well with ply. 

The "Sagulator" tool is intended for shelves, but by including the 'edge strip' option that is the depth of your drawer front, it should be pretty close on how much the drawer bottom can sag under a given load. You might be surprised at what a 1/4" bottom panel can support.

https://woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator/

#1…a lot of shops use up scraps of 3/4 finished ends, etc 

#2…I like 3/4 cause I Ives me more glue staple/pin.

#3 sometimes it works wit( their staples and screws.

Shops use certain products to eliminate waste in the shop.

1/2 BB comes in 60x60. You get a lot of yield, but yo7 start trying to figure fronts and back, that can be expensive..

• Like 2

When I was building new houses with cabinets, there was no good plywood supplier within 2 hours one way.  I just used Birch plywood from building suppliers, but it was better than big box plywood these days.  I used 1/4" for stacked drawer bottoms, and 3/8 for everything else.  5/8's almost always White Oak for the drawer bodies-all parts.

The reason the recommendations are all over on what drawers "should" be is because there is no should be. They can be anything. I've made drawers with 1/4" sides and 1/2" bottoms. I've made drawers with 3/4" sides and 1/4" bottoms. The most recent drawers i made had .04735" sides because that's where the milling marks went away.

The reason I bring this up is because it doesn't matter. Don't worry about it and just build with the material you have or can afford. It'll be fine, ok well maybe don't use 1/8" hardboard for drawer bottoms. It'll still probably work but I might not want to risk that.

• Like 1

“The reason the recommendations are all over on what drawers "should" be is because there is no should be.”

Hobby woodworkers are all over the place. Cabinets shops aren’t..

When you have a residential shops you make drawers a certain way. When you have a commercial shop , you make drawers a certain way.
Theres no all over the place when making a living..

I agree that it doesn't matter.  I always stuck to the same measurements because I used the same dovetail jig since about 1975.  I forget if it's a Delta or Porter-Cable, or something else.  It's about as primitive as they come.  The clamps use wing nuts.  I even still use the same dedicated Rockwell (owned Porter Cable for a while in the 1970's) D-handle 690 router for it.   I would clamp it to a handrail on the porch or deck of the house we were building, and have a helper blow the chips out in the yard with a leaf blower as we ran them.  The other helper handed me parts and kept them all organized. All the parts would be organized on a table on the deck and all run in the same session.  I remember one house had 48 drawers in it, and some maybe more but I stopped counting.  Regardless of how many there were, or what overall sizes they were, they were all run in the same session.

There are many better dovetail jigs, but since I was building one house a year, there was only one afternoon dedicated to dovetailing and assembling all the cabinet drawers.  Changing to something else would have been a waste of time.

Just pick something that you like and stick with it all the way through.  No one else really cares about such details after they're in.

Built over 50 drawers in the last 3 years with 1/2" all the way around, and 1/4" BB bottoms. Including the workbench I built last year. Some of those drawers are holding 20# of "stuff". No problem.

As far as room on the sides...It seems I've had them more trouble free if on the nuts clearance, according to directions, or even a sliver tighter (if it happens by accident). Even a little extra clearance than specified, leads to problems.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, roughsawn said:

As far as room on the sides...It seems I've had them more trouble free if on the nuts clearance, according to directions, or even a sliver tighter (if it happens by accident). Even a little extra clearance than specified, leads to problems.

That's been my experience as well. If the opening is a hair wide, I will shim the slide just enough to ensure a snug fit.

On 10/25/2023 at 9:59 AM, drzaius said:

That's been my experience as well. If the opening is a hair wide, I will shim the slide just enough to ensure a snug fit.

Right. My little secret is...I take the slide off the cabinet side(s), and shim with a 2" wide piece of laminate, the length of the slide. Then re-install the slide(s). They are always the perfect thickness, whether you need one on one side, or one on each side...if you got a little crazy with tolerances...lol

Years ago, I had leftover laminate from a project...and cut it up and saved some. Man has it come in handy over the years.

• Like 2