When your Dado starts smoking..

Brendon_t

I've never put a blade on backwards. I was however watching a car show on TV and they were restoring a pickup and they were doing a wooden cargo bed in the back. They had a small dewalt jobsite saw and they were trying to rip a piece of oak. He said "wow it's so hard to cut this material. Then it started smoking and they looked at each other and inspected the blade and realized it was on backwards. I guess this is why we fix cars and not build stuff with wood"

Haven't done that one yet...

I've mounted the first plate of the dado stack backward, and then noticed the orientaiton when mounting the first wing... I've mounted standard blades and got as far as threading the arbor nut... Once dropped a ½” solid carbide router bit upside down and got as far as reaching for the collet wrenches...

Depending on mood, I meet these circumstances with a laugh and comment about early-onset or swear like a sailor...

I can't say I've ever put a blade in upside down or backwards, but I did witness my ex-BIL put a wobble dado in a radial arm saw backwards, then proceed to tell me what a great carpenter he was, I just smiled at all the smoke and ruined oak plywood.

Never done the whole dado stack backwards, but I did flip a single chipper once. I knew immediately something was wrong because I had to push so much harder to get the material through. Still took me a bit to figure out exactly why though.

I had laid the stack out and dialed in the thickness with shims on my table top. I guessential I just grabbed the stack and on it went.

Went cheap and bought a 10" carbide tipped Blade, for my job site saw, from Menards, it would not cut a straight line even in construction grade pine for some concrete forms. I messed with it on and off for 2 days coming to the conclusion the saw was junk. I checked the blade direction, kerf, saw alignment, all looked ok. In one last effort before replacing the saw I bought a $50ish blade, a year later I am still using the saw and blade.