Roger Heitzman Table

Janello

Neat piece and should be a fun build.  I'll be following for sure.

FYI...you didn't need to ask homeboy's permission to build a replica unless you planned to sell it, which you didn't.  As soon as someone posts a picture of their work on the innerwebs, it's fair game as long as there's no money involved.  If building a piece inspired by someone else's piece is some kind of mortal sin, I'm going to hell and suffering eternally.

"All my best ideas are stolen." - Peter Follansbee

Kudos on contacting the maker of the original.  As mentioned this was not really required but, was a class act thing to do.  It certainly let him know that he had inspired another woodworker to make something similar.

Nice, clean mortises (mortisi?).  If I can ask, what method do you use for making them? This may be in your plans already but, on longer tenons like the ones on your back piece I will notch the tenon to make two or three smaller tenons and glue each one.  Depending on wood movement in your area, long tenons can suffer from wood movement issues. 

Another approach I have used is to only glue the first few inches of one end of the tenon and put a pin through a slot at the other end to allow for movement.  Just food for thought.

8 hours ago, gee-dub said:

Nice, clean mortises (mortisi?).  IF I can ask, what method do you use for making them? This may be in your plans already but, on longer tenons like the ones on your back piece I will notch the tenon to make two or three smaller tenons and glue each one. 

I used my OF1400 with edge guide and a 1/2" spiral bit to cut the mortises. It would have been nice if Festool added a light on that router. I'm going to get myself a head lamp for doing this on dark wood in the future.

Your right about back apron. I will definitely need to address wood movement there. I was looking at the picture of it this morning and wondering if I screwd the pooch or if it's my camera angle. It looks like it is lower than the front drawer apron. Now I have to sit at work all day until I can get home to measure it. Good news is, nothing is glued, and I have plenty of Walnut. 

So, in my haste I somehow managed to make the rear apron 1.5" too long. That would have been an easy fix, but the leg mortise will be exposed once I shorten it.  I see no good way around this other than making 2 new rear legs.

No, I'm not going to mount the legs on my wall to remind me of this mistake. I am going to wack them into bite size pieces on the bandsaw have a beer after the fix is done and put it in my rear view mirror!

I do wish I knew how the hell I did it though. The 1.5 inch error just doesn't make sense. :blink:

Just came to me, I bet I was thinking the drawer was 6 and not 4.5 deep. For whatever reason I had 6" drawer stuck in my head. I remember catching myself with that on the front apron mortise layout.

I'm not gonna get pissy about it. What's done is done. I accept the challenge to make 2 more legs like it never happened.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Janello said:

Just came to me, I bet I was thinking the drawer was 6 and not 4.5 deep. For whatever reason I had 6" drawer stuck in my head. I remember catching myself with that on the front apron mortise layout.

I'm not gonna get pissy about it. What's done is done. I accept the challenge to make 2 more legs like it never happened.

Atta boy!