Router bit for mortise and tenon joints

Isaac

I've got to make some mortise and tenon joints for my latest project. I'm planning to do 1/4" mortises in 3/4" material. I've got a router table, so I'm thinking I'll plunge the material and do them that way, unless someone convinces me that doing them from above, hand held is better?

I don't really have a good 1/4" bit, so I'm going to buy one, Looking for suggestions on what type, is a spiral up cut bit the best/most appropriate option?

I'm sure this is a really basic question, thanks in advance for humoring me guys.

51jzKtGLBvL.jpg

This is a time where I prefer to keep to stock stable and use a plunge router and guide to make the mortises. Spiral upcut bit like you posted is perfect - hartvilletool.com has them and 'wn15' will give you 15% off plus they have free shipping. 

Of course the easy, but expensive, way is to get a Domino. 

• Like 2

Yes, a spiral up cut is exactly what you need. Just do it incrementally so that you don't strain the bit too much and you're golden. I did some the other day using that exact bit in my new router.

You can do it with normal straight bits but they don't have a cutting surface in the middle of the flutes on the end of the bit so you can't go very deep with each pass but it's just as effective.

i do them on the router table most of the time with a spiral bit of the appropriate size, shallow cuts and a tall fence help as do good lay out lines if you are unable to use stops. use tape and pencil lines on the router table to mark your start and stop points. if you are doing table legs pay particular attention to your layout marks. i square the mortice with a chisel when I'm done or you can round the tenons. 

• Like 2

There are times when I need to do a stopped plunge on a router table, but I really dislike doing it. I'll look for any other way to cut them first.

I'd take a look at making a mortising jig that you could use on lots of other projects that would use a plunge router from above. It's much safer and I think you'd be happier with the more consistent results.

Here's one that doesn't require using guide bushings - 

I also like Philip Morley's jig that uses guide bushings - 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, xxdabroxx said:

How would you keep the plunge router flat on the top of a 3/4" board?  That sounds sketchy to me.  (I only have a trim router so far so this is all out of my wheelhouse)

You'd definitely sandwich with additional material to give a good base to rest on.

• Like 1

I use my bench vise which is flush with the surface of the bench.  Set the work piece flush with the table and use the router edge guide along the face of the vise.  Sometimes I will clamp a couple of stops to the bench if I am doing several.  I put pencil marks on the bench and the work piece when batching out several.  Works well.

I usually make 3/8" mortises in 3/4" stock.  Does anyone think that 3/8" is too large?

• Like 1

I've typically seen recommendations for either 1/3 or 1/2 the base thickness, so you are in that range. I think the fear with going too wide on thinner stock is just side wall blowout. I'd personally be concerned about that if the wall thickness gets down to about 1/8" or less.