Kitchen remodel/countertop build

Cliff

Hey Cliff - just caught up on your counter build.  Great job, they look real nice.  Good advice above about the tile work, it is pretty simple and after some of the challenges you had with the build you should have an easy time of it.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Cliff, that walnut counter top is beautiful! I have no idea how well it will hold up in a kitchen, but it sure looks killer right now!

Thanks! i have no idea either. I've read reports that as long as you clean up water asap they will last without a refinishing about 3-5 years easy. Some guys just put another coat on once a year then refinish every 5. I'm hoping for that type of situation. 

On 7/21/2016 at 8:35 PM, shaneymack said:

Cliff, if you can build great counters like that, you can put in a faucet! Its like screwing in a light bulb. You shouldn't pay for that !

As for the tile, very nice choice. I've installed almost the identical stuff before. Make sure you do not go crazy on the thinset. You don't want ridiculous amounts of thinset squeezing through the joints. If you do get squeeze out clean the joint out good or there is a good chance you slit your wrists comes time to do your grout. Make sure the thinset is atleast 1/8" below the tile to make room for your grout. You can use a little scrap of cardboard to clean out the joint if necessary.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the compliments sir :) I just felt like it would take me a long time to do the plumbing and my stepdad hates it so we skipped it. It cost us $115, but I set aside $200 so I feel good about it. I just have so many things and projects going on that I was ok with letting this one slide by. 

Thanks for the advice. We're using mastic but I'm sure your advice still applies. We're watching lots of you tube videos but they are sort of annoying as everyone starts with a perfect wall. Ours is 100 year old plaster. It's not horrible but not perfectly flat by a long margin.

On 7/21/2016 at 8:18 PM, Eric. said:

That's gonna look awesome.  We bought stacked travertine for our backsplash in the basement and I think that would look good against the walnut too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HTLSF4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

51E0K%2Bd2uGL.jpg

Oh that is cool. Pretty porous. Almost no grout line at all, in fact maybe there isn't one at all? 

10 hours ago, drzaius said:

I've done lots of tile work & for small wall tile I almost always use a premixed mastic tile adhesive & an 1/8" trowel. It's very easy to work with & sets up fairly quickly.

That's exactly what we're using I think. the premix mastic. 

• Like 1

Implemented some of the suggestions I received..

1/4 cement board, used screws to sorta clamp it til the powergrab set, then yanked them back out.

20160724_093944.jpg

Then cut little blocks and tried to match the routing profile. It wasn't exact but it will pass and not a lot of it can be seen once the bullnose is on. I should have brought the piece in before I cut it to size to see if my routing was perfect. I did not and that is that.

20160724_093951.jpg

And we started tiling today. Honestly, my wife did while I worked on a local business website. We have dozens of cuts to make, so that is going to be my job. She's doing a great job at this. We've nearly got this entire back wall complete. 

13620121_10208562006000860_79302473840005668_n.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...