Kitchen remodel/countertop build

Cliff

Cliff, I don't know what you have planned for the area around the sink, but here's what I did with my daughter's wood counter with under mount sink. I coated the edge of the hole, the area behind the sink, and about 3" around the hole on the underside with epoxy (West 207 hardener). It's quite low in viscosity & soaks in well.

The sink is secured with clips, not glued, to allow for wood movement. Between the wood & sink is sealed with clear caulk. Looks great & the water doesn't seem to be an issue with the wood

• Like 1

That is pretty close to my plan. The only thing is I was going to seal it with something else. I can't remember what. I think someone suggested it in another thread i started back in Jan/Feb when I was just thinking about this project and asked some questions. I do need to go get some more 207 though :( They were out at the shop I go to a couple weeks back. 

I definitely am using the crap out of the centipede. I also picked up some metal saw horses last week that are made by Toughbuilt or something that collapse down. They have jaws on both sides so you can put 2x4's in between to make a table type support system. Picked those up at home depot for $49 each. Between those and the centipede, I'm pretty satisfied with my sawhorse game. I just wish I had level ground to set these things on, even the driveway is crazy uneven.

I think I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to have to join these two pieces together before finishing. Either my track saw is not square or I did something wrong because my two pieces come together in a inverted V. They look great from the top, but the gap at the bottom is probably 1/16th+ off. Which means, I need to fill that all with epoxy. Since I already cut the sink out, I can't take anymore material off of the pieces. And I knew about this before I cut the sink hole, but I'm already an inch shorter than i wanted to be on the overall length - which I have to hide with trim (this entire project is being held together with bubble gum I suspect) so I just went with it.

The unfortunate part of joining these things together is that makes it so I have to put finish on in the garage, which means I have to move everything in the entire garage as far against the back wall as possible so I can fit this thing in and have room to walk around it.

I guess that is sort of ok because the next couple of weeks I need to be studying because I just accepted a new job offer, and will be using a particular technology I'm only passingly familiar with. So other than finishing the counter, I won't be out in the shop a lot anyway!

• 3 weeks later...

Today I took my horrid assembly/outfeed table and leveled some 2x4's across it. Needed as flat of a surface as I could get in my mangled garage. This may be the last act of this particular assembly table. I'm ready to build a torsion box soon.

I then drilled holes for the zipbolts from Lee Valley 

20160625_122210.jpg

I then I made it so these things will never ever come apart. 

20160625_124534.jpg

I was thinking about this project a few days ago wondering if you ever finished it. That little section looks good. I might need you to explain the polishing step you did. My last coat of Waterlox is always wiped on in a thin layer that dries quickly as to not collect dust and bugs. It always cures super smooth and I've never sanded/polished the final coat. Always interested in finishing tips though. I watched wood man's videos after you mentioned him with Waterlox and really liked the can clamp idea. 

Haha a bit overkill on the titejoints!

20 minutes ago, Cliff said:

Today I took my horrid assembly/outfeed table and leveled some 2x4's across it. Needed as flat of a surface as I could get in my mangled garage. This may be the last act of this particular assembly table. I'm ready to build a torsion box soon.

I then drilled holes for the zipbolts from Lee Valley 

20160625_122210.jpg

I then I made it so these things will never ever come apart. 

20160625_124534.jpg

Ah I thought part of the design on those things was to allow for occasional re-tightening...is this a common thing to 'flood' them like this, or your own idea?

2 minutes ago, JosephThomas said:

Ah I thought part of the design on those things was to allow for occasional re-tightening...is this a common thing to 'flood' them like this, or your own idea?

It's cleaning up my not very good cuts. The counters pushed together had an inverted V so I had to fill the gap in the joint anyway (since I'd already cut the sink hole I couldn't try to square up the cut.) So I just flooded it. 

The problem here is.. why the hell did my track saw not cut them square? I don't know the answer to that. 

This project is just being held together by epoxy at this point. Soon maybe some twine! But it just has to look pretty ok.

1 minute ago, Eric. said:

Nice seam. :D

There was a surprising amount of needle and thread used here. :)

Also the possibility that your saw is out of sorts. I saw a post on FOG once about a guy taking the front cover plate off his TS and using a machinist square to tune the saw to perfect 90. You would also be surprised what your technique can do when using the track saw. 

• Like 1

What track saw are you using?   

No matter how many adjustments or fast or slow I go, my circular saw undercuts whatever material I'm cutting toward the thick side. I deal since that's never the last thing to touch the edge but I'd be pretty ticked if a track saw did it. 

2 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

What track saw are you using?   

No matter how many adjustments or fast or slow I go, my circular saw undercuts whatever material I'm cutting toward the thick side. I deal since that's never the last thing to touch the edge but I'd be pretty ticked if a track saw did it. 

Makita. 

I'm not too happy with the track either. It seems warped. Could be the culprit, if it's lifting off the wood in places. I have to take the time to troubleshoot it. This is the reason I didn't order the super long track, as I hear you really gotta go see a Makita track in person before you buy it. So eventually I plan to replace with Festool tracks. 

How to roubo when one has no roubo

I got about an 1/8" more width than the other side. Really not sure how that happened since they were both sent through the table saw with the fence at the same position. Oh well. Going to use smoothing plane to take it off. 

20160626_150144.jpg

20 hours ago, Cliff said:

Makita. 

I'm not too happy with the track either. It seems warped. Could be the culprit, if it's lifting off the wood in places. I have to take the time to troubleshoot it. This is the reason I didn't order the super long track, as I hear you really gotta go see a Makita track in person before you buy it. So eventually I plan to replace with Festool tracks. 

Check dp shoptalk in YouTube.  He has a makita, and had an issue with a track from the ts kit.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Eric. said:

Well man, despite all the trouble you've had with this thing, it looks damn good.  Nice job.

Thanks man. I'm very pleased overall. And I owe everyone on this forum a beer someday for the massive amount of tips.