Kitchen remodel/countertop build

Cliff

Hey that counter looks really good. I want to do wood counters in my next house but i don't know if i have enough guts to put that much wood in 1 room. with cabinets trim ect.

That really stinks on the drill bit and going through. I'm sure after everything else it must start feeling like the world is against you. I feel like that's just how home remodeling goes for the inexperienced. On every drywall job i do i always have like 5 screws that never get sunk far enough and show their ugly heads at the end.

I'm really curious how your going to like the single basin sink. I'm going to put one in on my kitchen remodel. I'm nervous if I'll like it or not.

Looks really good, while we were house shopping I was kind of hoping to find a house that needed some work like that.  A lot of the ones we looked at needed kitchen attention bc everyone likes the outdated crap apparently, buttttt the house we ended up getting has granite counter tops, wife loves them so won't have anything like this on my todo list.

22 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Hey that counter looks really good. I want to do wood counters in my next house but i don't know if i have enough guts to put that much wood in 1 room. with cabinets trim ect.

That really stinks on the drill bit and going through. I'm sure after everything else it must start feeling like the world is against you. I feel like that's just how home remodeling goes for the inexperienced. On every drywall job i do i always have like 5 screws that never get sunk far enough and show their ugly heads at the end.

I'm really curious how your going to like the single basin sink. I'm going to put one in on my kitchen remodel. I'm nervous if I'll like it or not.

Honestly I feel like I've learned some valuable lessons. The problems that came from most of this project were a result of cletus-wood. Then add in the mistakes I made and yeah it seems like everything is against me but seeing the final product looking pretty good is a huge boost and outweighs any negatives. 

I think the way to go is get a good deal on some good wood (kiln dried or properly air dried) and then build some counters. It really helps that my total wood cost for this project was $75. Yeah the wood was totally crap and I lost like 60% thickness getting them flat but I could set the things on fire and walk away 100x smarter and more experienced and only $75 poorer. That to me is a great thing. 

22 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

That looks pretty darn good man. 

I think the vertical level word you were searching for is plumb. 

And you should know better by now than to use your pretty counter as a backer board.. always use scrap. 

Great job. 

No no sir. I'm not that dumb (hopefully.) I was drilling holes in the counter for inserts when the tape slid up so I had no idea I'd gone past my 1/2" depth and went all the way through. Now I will get some nice stops and never deal with this again. Again - hopefully.

13 hours ago, Gixxerjoe04 said:

Looks really good, while we were house shopping I was kind of hoping to find a house that needed some work like that.  A lot of the ones we looked at needed kitchen attention bc everyone likes the outdated crap apparently, buttttt the house we ended up getting has granite counter tops, wife loves them so won't have anything like this on my todo list.

This is really a stepping stone to a full kitchen remodel in maybe 5 years. We'll be doing soapstone at that time. We're only into the entire "remodel" for about $1200-1400. We did want it to look nice enough that if it took us longer than 5 years to do the full remodel then we'd be ok with it. 

And thanks to all - @wtnhighlander @wdwerker @Janello @shaneymack @TIODS and all those that fixed my vocabulary once again. Always wondered if plumb meant what I thought it did.

Today the plumber came. He helped the dog put in the faucet. 

1.jpg

We decided to do the faucet without the long plate/cover thing. Much cleaner look. 

2.jpg

My repairs on this thing are going relatively well. I filled the holes with tinted epoxy then chiseled it back. Of course my chisel gouged a few places deeper than I'd like but I am letting that go. It's going to get banged up and there are other light scratches elsewhere that my wife likes for "character" purposes. So far the biggest issue with the repair is that the epoxy sorta harmed the finish where it overfilled. I'm not really sure I can fix it. I've put 3 layers of waterlox on those areas after sanding - then tomorrow i'm probably going to sand the entire counter and put what I hope is my final coat. The spots where the epoxy are noticeable, but not overly so. I think you'd have to know it was there to notice. 

In the pic below it's roughly in the lower center. 

4.jpg

• Like 1