My take on a Pekovich table

Mick S

30 minutes ago, Cliff said:

Nice table. And that dog is funky :) random mixed breed?

Yes. She's an American DGD*. 

*Damn Good Dog. My best guess is Husky/Eurasier. 

33 minutes ago, TIODS said:

Super nice Micks!  Would love to see some build pics especially the top attachment..

Interesting choice of lumber but, it works very well together!

8 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Looks great Mick ! Good to see another one of your projects on

here. I second what Kev said, I'd like to see some more build pics as well. Nice to see Maggie also, what a cutie !!

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Sorry - I was in a hurry on this one and didn't stop to take pix. I'm enrolled in the Fine Woodworking program at Santa Fe Community College. There's a prerequisite Intro to Fine Woodworking course that requires a table build. I had another design in mind all the way to the cut list point, but I couldn't get the mesquite until almost 3 weeks after I should have started, so I was pretty rushed. I'll be happy to flip it over and take some shots of the top supports.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RichardA said:

Do I see the top supports as through tenons on the apron? Are they wedged?  I'm building one almost like it for the guy that supplies my wood! out of walnut and curly maple!

I had the same thought Richard..

4 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Great looking piece. I've never seen anything on here made from mesquite. Love that stuff more than walnut!

It's very much like working bubinga - brittle and hard. I tuned up my Lie-Nielson chisels over one weekend only to have the edges roll over within minutes.

I ordered the wood out of South TX and got some of the most highly figured mesquite I've seen. I ordered enough 8/4 to make 5 legs - in the extremely unlikely event of a screw-up. Problem was the 8/4 was sent as two pieces - one enough for 3 legs and the other enough for 2 and they didn't match at all. I resawed the piece for 3 legs and veneered the core.

Here's a shot of the figured piece.

IMG_0945.jpg

13 minutes ago, RichardA said:

Do I see the top supports as through tenons on the apron? Are they wedged?  I'm building one almost like it for the guy that supplies my wood! out of walnut and curly maple!

Yes, they're double through tenons, but not wedged. They're only 1/4" per tenon. I'll take more pics tomorrow with details. I wedged the ash stretcher underneath into the side aprons.

IMG_1075 (1).jpg

14 minutes ago, bob493 said:

Wow, i really really like this table. That type of design really speaks to me (as corny as that sounds lol).

Wow, i really really like this table. That type of design really speaks to me (as corny as that sounds lol).

Me, too, Bob. If you're not familiar with Mike Pekovich, he's the art director for Fine Woodworking magazine. Here's a link to his Instagram account.

17 hours ago, TIODS said:

Super nice Micks!  Would love to see some build pics especially the top attachment..

Interesting choice of lumber but, it works very well together!

Here are a few pics showing how the top is attached. 

IMG_1057 (1).jpg

The top stands off about 1/2" from the top of the arch and is supported by two front-to-back supports (the through tenons) spaced 14" apart.

IMG_1081.jpg

This shot is looking from the side and shows the profile of the supports. The ends are cut back about 2" on the top edges to give more of the sense of the floating effect.

IMG_1080.jpg

Here's the underside showing the two ash supports notched into the mesquite supports. I make the connector blocks out of scrap using a 5mm Domino glued into the block, but floating in the mortise on the ash supports to allow for wood movement. I got the idea from my brother.

IMG_1082.jpg

Thanks to all for the kind words!

Mick

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, TIODS said:

Thanks for the detail Mick!  I like the domino trick!  Elongated holes thru the supports would have worked but, +1 for the ingenuity!

Super clean all the way around!

Thanks Kev! One this project, the elongated holes would have worked. Actually, the platform the top is resting on is so narrow you could almost get by with just screwing it down. Santa Fe is pretty dry year round. On the bookcase I'm finishing up tomorrow the aprons wouldn't allow for elongated holes.

7 minutes ago, Chet K. said:

That is an outstanding table Micks.  I, like some others above have never seen Mesquite used in a project.  Didn't even know that it was a wood that was good for woodworking.

Thanks, Chet. One thing I love about mesquite is the smell when you work it. It smells almost like honeysuckle and Jolly Ranchers.

16 minutes ago, micks said:

It smells almost like honeysuckle and Jolly Ranchers.

I have worked with a wood in the past, I don't recall what it was, but it smelled like dill pickles when you worked with it.  Always made me hungry for a good hamburger.:)