Hijack!

Llama

14 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

Flip side, discovering benefits of avoiding gluten for those folks is creating tremendous healing for my sisters with Hasimoto's thyroiditis which happens to be very tricky to diagnose but easy to "treat."

That's awesome!

I guess i don't eat gluten either, since I don't eat anything with carbs in it. 

11 hours ago, JosephThomas said:

Properly baked Beans  = yum.

pork products + yum = double yum

sweet tea + double yum = triple yum.

I've never understood sweet tea .. tried it many times. Love tea, just can't drink it with sugar in it.

Also your previous equation is missing a smoker, what that make quadruple yum?

10 hours ago, Cliff said:

That's awesome!

I guess i don't eat gluten either, since I don't eat anything with carbs in it. 

Only wheat has gluten.  Rice, oats, corn...still terrible for you but gluten-free.

11 hours ago, C Shaffer said:

Flip side, discovering benefits of avoiding gluten for those folks is creating tremendous healing for my sisters with Hasimoto's thyroiditis which happens to be very tricky to diagnose but easy to "treat."

I don't have a gluten allergy but I find when I avoid all grains my body is much happier.

A friend of mine has a severe gluten allergy, so much so that if she kisses her husband after he has a beer, she'll be going to the hospital.  It's gotten progressively worse over the years since she discovered the cause of her health issues and reduced her gluten intake.  I have a hunch that the allergies get worse as you get more and more strict about eliminating the gluten.  I'm not saying these people should continue to consume it...but...catch-22.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eric. said:

Only wheat has gluten.  Rice, oats, corn...still terrible for you but gluten-free.

Rye and barley have gluten, too.

i have a pretty bad gluten allergy. Not going to the hospital bad but I'll get terribly sick. And as you mentioned, the longer you go without it the more sensitive you are.

I agree that it's gotten trendy to sample these diets but for me, not having gluten makes a huge improvement in my quality of life. I could get tested for celiac but I'd have to eat gluten for a few months before the test...  It's just not worth it to get the official seal of approval.

I miss good beer the most.  About 6 months ago I found Stone brewing in San Diego makes a GF beer called stone delicious ipa. It's so dang good!

44 minutes ago, -MattK- said:

I agree that it's gotten trendy to sample these diets

That's just it. I know people that all of a sudden are allergic to everything. They decide to try out a gluten-free way of eating (like Eric) and all of a damn sudden, they claim to be gluten-free. Then they buy organic soap and laundry detergent. I poke a lot of fun at these guys, but if someone has a legitimate allergy it's not a joke. One of my wifes friends claims to be allergic to damn near anything under the sun, and drinks like a fish. Oh well. 

• Like 1

I don't eat gluten-free, I eat Paleo.  It just happens to be gluten-free because it excludes all grains.  I don't do it to be trendy, I do it to feel better.  And it works.

I still use regular laundry detergent and Crest toothpaste, but I do use sulfate-free shampoo.  Skin is the body's largest organ and absorbs most of what you put on it.

I haven't found a natural deodorant that actually works, so I still soak poison up through my armpits every day.

• Like 2

My wife and I started out with Whole30 in January, which is paleo-like but then does some reintroduction to see what stuff makes you feel not so good. I'm a rational, scientific kind of guy so I prefer learning what isn't good for me rather than assuming something isn't good for me. I'm not "allergic" or "intolerant" to anything (healthy Dutch stock here) but carbs and sugar do knock my energy levels for a loop and pack on the pounds.

Cutting out all the carbs and sugar has both of us losing weight safely (about a pound a week) and we're both feeling better -- for example, no early-afternoon energy crash that leaves us gasping and dragging. I also know that I can go ahead and eat breads or desserts if I want to, but that I'll have a big aches-and-energy payback the next few days.

For us, it's a great change. Better-tasting food, more stable energy levels, fewer aches and pains from bearing too much fat-based weight. I'm glad we're doing it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lester Burnham said:

Almost a month ago, I nixed coffee. It's weird getting up in the morning and not having to drink coffee.

I quit it about six months ago, but mostly to help curb cigarette cravings...I quit those too.  Now I have a couple huge glasses of water as soon as I wake up.  It's nice starting my day hydrating myself instead of dehydrating myself.  And if you drink enough of it, it makes you poop, too, just like coffee.  Bonus. :)

I'll have a Starbucks now and then, and after the first sip my mind goes immediately: cigarettes.  It's Pavlovian.

I haven't found a natural deodorant that actually works, so I still soak poison up through my armpits every day.

We have been making ours for years. Super easy and works great. Baking soda, coconut oil, tea tree oil and i think one other thing.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Eric. said:

It's nice starting my day hydrating myself instead of dehydrating myself

I took a mountaineering/backpacking class a century or so ago at Yosemite NP climbing school.  Their moto was "Clear and Copious".  They used to preach this all through the course.  Especially at higher altitudes you need to drink copious amounts water because you don't feel your self sweat because it evaporates super fast the higher up you are. And if you are drinking enough your pee will be clear.  The instructors said that clear is always a good measure of you proper fluid intake no matter were you are.

11 minutes ago, Mike. said:

Don't laugh....  Here are the keys to not stinking:

1) drink lots of water

2) shower every morning and get yourself clean

3) wear 100% cotton shirts.   "performance fabrics" might wick away sweat, but they don't breathe.  They make you stink.  So do wrinkle free shirts.  

Do that and you don't need deodorant. 

Honestly, the stink doesn't bother me as much as the dripping, sweaty pits.  I use deodorant primarily for the antiperspirant.  If my pits stink that's someone else's problem. LOL

I do agree though....the cleaner you eat and the healthier you get, the less you stink.  Water is important, and obviously so are showers...but you are what you eat, and the less toxic waste you consume, the less toxic waste you'll exude.

4 hours ago, Eric. said:

I quit it about six months ago, but mostly to help curb cigarette cravings...I quit those too.  Now I have a couple huge glasses of water as soon as I wake up.  It's nice starting my day hydrating myself instead of dehydrating myself.  And if you drink enough of it, it makes you poop, too, just like coffee.  Bonus. :)

I'll have a Starbucks now and then, and after the first sip my mind goes immediately: cigarettes.  It's Pavlovian.

At least you finally admit that you're a quitter! 

6 hours ago, Eric. said:

It also reduces inflammation in the body when you get rid of a lot of the grains and dairy...that helps with aches and pains too.  I can tell a noticeable difference in my joints and back the day or two after I cheat.  Hunched over like a geriatric.

I had rotator cuff surgery a month after we started Whole30. I healed so fast it made my head spin. PT was a breeze. I bet if I had been eating carbs and stuff, I would have been in a lot more pain and healed more slowly.

Back problems are a whole 'nother story. I'll tell you all about it someday when we're in the Olde Woodworker's Home comparing notes on our latest health issues. :P

• Like 1

So we took the kid to the aquarium today, was kinda of fun.  The aquarium in Camden, NJ has on of the largest shark exhibits in the country, they are also the only aquarium that has hippos.  The hippos were the coolest part, we got to watch feeding time and they love their lettuce.