Hijack!

Llama

I have a terrible diet. I wake up and eat something sweet for breakfast, donuts, pop tarts, etc (junk) with a red bull around 7. Eat lunch (junk) about 12. Come in and eat supper about 8. Then I have a snack right before bed. I never drink water. I mostly drink Gatorade and coke. I currently weigh about 155 and have since high school. I eat like crap, but I just don't eat a lot of it and I am very active so I guess that helps.

Most of our diet is backwards metabolically. Many resetting systems move the meat proteins to morning after the "mini fast." They consume the most carbs at lunch with a heavy load of veggie in the evening. I had a paleo friend who hit plateau for a bit start to drop fat again by moving his primary protein to breakfast. Eat the roast the next morning kind of thing. I never tried it myself. 

None of us need regimented meals.  Our bodies have evolved to eat what we can when we can, which often meant days of fasting between big, high-protein meals, with small bits of roots and leafy greens in between.  If we got lucky we found some strawberries that were about the size of nickels, and not even close to sweet.

It sounds terrible, but it's what we are biologically programmed to do.  When you start reducing the carbs from your diet and you get off the blood-sugar roller coaster, your hunger (and lack of hunger) gets way more stable and you stay satiated for longer periods of time.  You become a more efficient fat burner, instead of a sugar burner, and your body (re)learns how to utilize the fuel that it's already carrying.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Eric. said:

If you can't stay awake all day without caffeine, there's one cure for that...exercise.

Well I'll try to find the time for that only being home long enough to cook dinner and go to bed. I used to walk at work for an hour or so. Old job. I could just disappear for 1-3 hours and nobody cared. It was nice. 

11 hours ago, shaneymack said:

You eat nothing at all after 4pm untill the next morning?

Here is a cool info graphic i found

31671abccc8a10110153f6090a5a30ac.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Yup that is basicaly my entire diet on the left. Well, I eat lots of red meat too. I just had an avocado with dinner. Took me a while to get to like it. 

12 hours ago, shaneymack said:

I am a believer in intermittent fasting. I try to eat my food in an 8 hour window each day. I normally do not eat breakfast just loads of water. Intermittent fasting is easier than doing a 24 hour fast.once a week, atleast for me it is. Google intermittent fasting to read all the benefits.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I did this for about a month. I only ate between 1pm and 7pm. It was fine, but as a diabetic, I noticed my blood sugar wouldn't go down from my morning highs (coffee related) and long story short, I don't stop being insulin resistant until I eat. So it ends up being healthier for me to not fast at all. Kind of sucks, because it really helps out my metabolism. 

5 hours ago, Eric. said:

None of us need regimented meals.  Our bodies have evolved to eat what we can when we can, which often meant days of fasting between big, high-protein meals, with small bits of roots and leafy greens in between.  If we got lucky we found some strawberries that were about the size of nickels, and not even close to sweet.

It sounds terrible, but it's what we are biologically programmed to do.  When you start reducing the carbs from your diet and you get off the blood-sugar roller coaster, your hunger (and lack of hunger) gets way more stable and you stay satiated for longer periods of time.  You become a more efficient fat burner, instead of a sugar burner, and your body (re)learns how to utilize the fuel that it's already carrying.

Indeed. Then you are just left with the crap that for some reason has sugar and carbs in it that you'd never think would. That's caught me up a few times. 

3 minutes ago, Cliff said:

I did this for about a month. I only ate between 1pm and 7pm. It was fine, but as a diabetic, I noticed my blood sugar wouldn't go down from my morning highs (coffee related) and long story short, I don't stop being insulin resistant until I eat. So it ends up being healthier for me to not fast at all. Kind of sucks, because it really helps out my metabolism. 

If you were drinking coffee in the morning, that would have broken the fast especially if you put sugar or cream in it. 

1 hour ago, shaneymack said:

If you were drinking coffee in the morning, that would have broken the fast especially if you put sugar or cream in it. 

On the ketogenic diet, it's still considered fasting if you have coffee with coconut oil in it (and/or butter.) I've done it both ways, but from my personal tests, I simply have to eat breakfast in the morning to kick start my body. 

People doing multi-day fasts consume coffee with oil as well as beef broth with salt in it. Mostly to stop the hunger in the first 12-15 hours. 

I'm a big believer in everyone doing whatever works for their own body. My body tells me I need to move to a 3 times per day steak diet. I just don't have enough money.

• Like 1

My most successful period of healthy eating involved the principles from Bill Phillips' "Body for Life" program. Simple meals, balance of protien to carbs (starchy) shifted to about 60/40, include a green veggie with meals, and add high protein snacks so that you eat a small amount about every 3-4 hours throughout the day. That translated to 5 times a day for me. One "free day" allowed per week to satisfy whatever odd cravings, but after a couple weeks, those pretty much stopped. I dropped nearly 30 lb in 6 weeks, and felt incredible. That was 15 years ago..I have since fallen back into bad habits of convenience, and need to drop that 30 again.

Honestly, I think what helped me most was eliminating soft drinks, and nearly all bread products.