Hijack!

Llama

5 hours ago, Mike. said:

Medium or Medium Rare for me.  But I always let it rest 10 minutes before cutting into it, so that the juices redistribute and it doesn't bleed all over the plate.  The meat will have more flavor that way. 

I've come to believe that is a myth. 

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_resting_meat.html

Meat that is well done and not a bird of some sort should be banned. I pulled my steak off at 120 degrees. 

Jumping I'm on the steak topic...  I cook mine sous vide. You vacuum pack the steaks with some olive oil, salt, and pepper.  Then put them in a bath (in a big plastic tub) with a heat pump that keeps the water at a constant temp...  Like 125ish

cook for an hour and a half and the steaks are MR all the way through, no variation.  Then our of the bag into a pan or on the BBQ set to infinity to get the Maillard reaction on the outside.  Some use a butane torch for this...  I haven't tried it yet  

Its great because you can cook even a stupidly thick steak and get it to your desired temp throughout. And the sealed bag keeps all the juice in so it doesn't dry out...  You can leave it in the bath and it won't cook beyond the temp you set.  

here's mine ins before I had the vacuum sealer and just used ziploc bags:

image.jpeg

Jumping I'm on the steak topic...  I cook mine sous vide. You vacuum pack the steaks with some olive oil, salt, and pepper.  Then put them in a bath (in a big plastic tub) with a heat pump that keeps the water at a constant temp...  Like 125ish

cook for an hour and a half and the steaks are MR all the way through, no variation.  Then our of the bag into a pan or on the BBQ set to infinity to get the Maillard reaction on the outside.  Some use a butane torch for this...  I haven't tried it yet  

Its great because you can cook even a stupidly thick steak and get it to your desired temp throughout. And the sealed bag keeps all the juice in so it doesn't dry out...  You can leave it in the bath and it won't cook beyond the temp you set.  

image.jpeg

This just blew my mind.

43d709796926ebf6f7050b7d9989c988.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

02e4d07f40e63c9f99ee81877171ede8.jpg

23 minutes ago, -MattK- said:

Have you seen this?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chestnut said:

b32b4ce681b3e7a4f36e47999f7449c4.jpg

Fresh salsa batch 2 for the year. This stuff is good and hot.

Hey bud, that looks soooooo damn good! Do you share recipes?

if it's a secrete and you sell it, p'm me and I will send you my cc info?

Edited by K Cooper

8 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Hey bud, that looks soooooo damn good! Do you share recipes?

if it's a secrete and you sell it, p'm me and I will send you my cc info?

Na there isn't a secret, though it's almost never the same. I dislike how bad that picture is it truly looks way more red in person then burnt orange.

For 4 gallons adjust as needed. Blanch and peel tomatoes, quarter in to stock pot. Bring tomatoes to boil and hold at least until froth goes away. I usually Boil mine until i decrees the volume by about a 3rd The more you boil the thicker the salsa. I stir occasionally to make sure that the bottom doesn't burn. Another tip to make sure that the bottom doesn't burn is to have a nice thick bottomed pot. While boiling, chop ( i suggest using a food processor) 6 large white onions, 6 large bell peppers (any color), 20 poblano peppers, 6-10 Jalapeno peppers, 6-10 habanero peppers, 5-10 cayenne peppers, 5-10 Serrano peppers. After tomatoes are boiled sufficiently add peppers and onions and slowly return to a very light simmer. As soon as the mixture hits the simmer pour in to jars, lid, ring, boiling water bath for 10 min.

Coop probably knows but wear gloves when dealing with hot peppers. Pepper burn feels like a really bad sunburn and it takes days to go away from hands. Also if your not coop and reading this if your hard pressed on time you can break the process into 3 pars and do them separately. I usually blanch the tomatoes 1 night, boil the tomatoes down another, and chop jar and process a 3rd night, make sure to refrigerate in between.

To the above i add peppers based on what i have. I had 30 poblano peppers 10 jalapeno 10 habanero 25-30 cayenetta 10 cayenne 10 Serrano 8 large Anaheim 10 banana. So i used them all. This year my Jalapeno peppers were smaller then half a pinky finer and not very hot, so I've been increasing the other hot peppers accordingly.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2016 at 8:05 PM, Mike. said:

I mostly agree.  When I say "bleed all over the plate" I don't actually mean blood, I know it isn't blood.  I have drunk cow blood (actually blood soup) and had blood sausage (boudin noir) many times, it is nothing like the juice in a steak.  But that is what everyone calls it :).  

I normally pull steaks at about 125 and tent them with foil for about 10 minutes.  The will continue rise another 5-10 degrees off the heat from carry over cooking, so it will finish at ~130, which is were I like it.   Maybe it is in my head, but the meat seems more moist if you let it rest, but maybe it is simply because I let it get up to medium rare off the heat, so it gets to my desired temp more gently.  

FWIW, I always cook my steaks on indirect heat, then sear the outside for  minute on each side.  It will be more evenly pinkish read from top to bottom with no gray ring.  The idea that you can sear in the juices is all total BS.  The searing is just for flavor and appearance.

I also like pork medium and chicken breasts a little pink.  Legs can go to 190 and still be moist because they are so fatty.  

I completely agree with the cooking of the steaks. Searing is BS to seal in stuff is BS. I don't sear my pot roast either before starting it off. I've never noticed a difference.

Pork I pull off at 140 degrees. I have to leave my wife's on til 160ish. She sees any pink in anything other than a steak and she won't eat it. Doesn't matter how may times I tell her that the stuff they put in meat now makes color completely unreliable in terms of doneness, and that the reason she didn't like pork before she met was me was because she only had it overcooked clear to hell. But this is why I don't allow her to cook the meat either. 

23 hours ago, -MattK- said:

I badly want to get a sous vide setup. I just keep spending all my money on woodworking instead.

36 minutes ago, Cliff said:

I badly want to get a sous vide setup. I just keep spending all my money on woodworking instead.

It certainly wasn't cheap when I got mine, but I thought they were coming down a bit.  Wasn't there a Kickstarter one?

There are many discussions of ways to do it in a more affordable fashion but I'm pretty sure if I tried an arduino and a crock pot all I'd end up with is an insurance claim.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, -MattK- said:

It certainly wasn't cheap when I got mine, but I thought they were coming down a bit.  Wasn't there a Kickstarter one?

There are many discussions of ways to do it in a more affordable fashion but I'm pretty sure if I tried an arduino and a crock pot all I'd end up with is an insurance claim.

I think you can get one for $200 range. Not sure how good they are. A friend of mine went with the $34 crockpot solution and says it works perfect. My wife just saw me looking at them on amazon and asked me what it was. Then gave me the "You are out of your mind" look.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, K Cooper said:

I'm afraid you're going to get weirder than that after you move to CO?

Yea like a 40'x60' shop taken over by a hoarder...(sister)  built in 1967, same year I left home "by mutual agreement"  never used as a shop, and from what I understand has been bulldozed for condo's.... welcome to Ft. Collins.  Pictures were taken in 2011.  I was 14 when I left.

shop.JPG

shopin.JPG

Today I worked on a brick path my wife wants. Got the substrate all done.

Woodworking junkies will enjoy the tamper I crafted for this project. Love it when the Gorilla Glue foams!

082f4b4b29cd77df0099363ea55ee721.jpg

1769c0bb13c890d84c0a91f157520d4f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So you don't just cook all day, you had me fooled!

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk