Hijack!

Llama

2 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Thanks bud.  May just follow thru on this, and like you, bite the bullet (being from TX), and order a couple, assuming the lion is a typo?

Yup,it should have been "loin", but lion steaks sound good too...;)

I don't think you will regret it should you order some steaks. Let us know what you think if you do.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eric. said:

You needed one of these for dessert after your cow meat Dave. In my mind, fall is already here...even though it was like 95 today. I'm ready for fall.

bdf2417cd8152e7d8ef5652bea17abcf.jpg

Do you usually buy beer due to the label, from recommendations from a friend, or just a wild hair?

So seems like I discover new insects in NC every year, and every year seems to be creepier than the last. First time running across one of these, and this year I found two on the kids playset. At first glance thought it was horrific bee of some sort. Some googling got me to the right answer. Cicada exoskeleton. A Harmless (and enormous) bug that's existence is offensive on every level.6bf42882c1feac389f6b8af0ccc81f85.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Do you usually buy beer due to the label, from recommendations from a friend, or just a wild hair?

All three.  I've had Magic Hat before so I knew it was decent, but I try new stuff all the time.  Costco has seasonal 24 packs right now with 4 different brews, 6 of each...good way to sample.  They have Magic Hat, Goose Island and New Belgium and a few others I can't remember.  Like $24 each...that's a great price for craft beer.  Costco rocks.

I was so disappointed by the Hobbit Trilogy that I'm not watching ANY of the new Star Wars movies until they're all available on dvd. or whatever the future form of media consumption happens to be.

...that's how this thread works right?

The idea is right, but your execution is awful. Star wars is the best.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, Eric. said:

You needed one of these for dessert after your cow meat Dave. In my mind, fall is already here...even though it was like 95 today. I'm ready for fall.

bdf2417cd8152e7d8ef5652bea17abcf.jpg

I Could have certain used one of those!

Fall is already in full bloom here. No doubt about it. We actually had 25 degrees the other morning, and it wasn't over the mid sixties for high temps all week.

I hate to see the season change, but I'm heading to the Utah desert next week,so that should help. I'll send up a feet-up shot of me lounging somewhere in the middle of nowhere.

25 minutes ago, chrisphr said:

So seems like I discover new insects in NC every year, and every year seems to be creepier than the last. First time running across one of these, and this year I found two on the kids playset. At first glance thought it was horrific bee of some sort. Some googling got me to the right answer. Cicada exoskeleton. A Harmless (and enormous) bug that's existence is offensive on every level.6bf42882c1feac389f6b8af0ccc81f85.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen some cool looking cicadas. All blue, yellow, and green when they're alive. As you say, their dried up husk isn't so attractive.

40 minutes ago, Eric. said:

All three.  I've had Magic Hat before so I knew it was decent, but I try new stuff all the time.  Costco has seasonal 24 packs right now with 4 different brews, 6 of each...good way to sample.  They have Magic Hat, Goose Island and New Belgium and a few others I can't remember.  Like $24 each...that's a great price for craft beer.  Costco rocks.

We have about a dozen or so micro breweries here, St. Arnold being the biggest. I don't have the nads to venture far from Miller Lite. I'm going to pinch my nose and go for it.  That first friggin step?

Miller Lite is not beer...it's what real beers refer to as "urine."  Don't worry, almost all corporate American lagers are in the same category.  Sam Adams is probably the biggest brewery that doesn't make urine.  Try Sam Adams if you wanna break the urine addiction...baby steps.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, whotookjobin said:

Lord of the Rings was the best. OG Star Wars was the best. These sequels/trequals? nonsense.

I was really confused when you said hobbit trilogy, Whole time i was thinking "but it's just 1 short novel 350 pages at best" Their down fall was to stretch it out too long.

I personally gave up on moves when the good movies all seem to be bad novel adaptations. I've read the books, the books were better, i stopped trying on the movies.

30 minutes ago, Lester Burnham said:

"Just bring the cow into the kitchen, show it the grill, then bring it right out. I only want to taste blood and fear."

LOL  That's a great line, think I'll use it.

I'm actually a medium rare kind of guy myself, but it's more manly to pretend you like raw bloody meat.  Pink is great, bloody turns me off.  On the other hand, well done is a complete waste of flesh.

The equal to your friend's motto for someone who orders well done:

"Just bring the cow into the kitchen, then cook all the flavor and tenderness out of it until it tastes like a shoe.  In fact, just bring me your shoe and some A-1."

Well done for me.  I don't order steak at a restaurant for this reason.  However at home, I can get well done and still be juicy and have great flavor.

You can cook a well done steak and it still be juicy? I'm not even being sarcastic, I didn't think that was possible. Most people that I've seen eat steak that is cooked like that eat it with some sort of bbq sauce or horse radish. I always assumed it was so dry it wasn't chewable lol. I'm a medium rare guy.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, Mike. said:

Sometimes for the holidays I will buy an entire loin and dry age it myself in the fridge, then cut it into steaks.  But you should only really age beef a week or so at home, a refrigerator is not precise enough to age beef the 30 days it takes to get the best flavor.  

Check out seriouseats for an article on aging beef at home. He likes his aged 60 days & tells of a couple of restaurants in NYC that serve beef aged 80 & 120 days (basically rotten at that point).

Very interesting read.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shaneymack said:

You can cook a well done steak and it still be juicy? I'm not even being sarcastic, I didn't think that was possible. Most people that I've seen eat steak that is cooked like that eat it with some sort of bbq sauce or horse radish. I always assumed it was so dry it wasn't chewable lol. I'm a medium rare guy.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Yes, steaks and burgers.  The biggest thing is you need to just leave them alone on the grill.  If you pull them off close to being done, then let them rest, the juices will remain.  My girlfriend would prefer to have blood running out, but she will eat something I make that is well done, because it is still juicy.

16 hours ago, Eric. said:

Miller Lite is not beer...it's what real beers refer to as "urine."  Don't worry, almost all corporate American lagers are in the same category.  Sam Adams is probably the biggest brewery that doesn't make urine.  Try Sam Adams if you wanna break the urine addiction...baby steps.

Recently, my wife and I took a cruise along the Main River in Germany. One stop was a walking tour through and old town with a stop at the local brewery for a beer tasting. The guide was an employee of the brewery and he began his tour/tasting with a comparison of German beer to American brewed beer. He asked the group, "what do American beer and making love on a boat have in common?. Answer: "Both are *ucking near water" 

• Like 2