Hijack!

Llama

1 hour ago, Cliff said:

I think someone needs to hijack this thread far far away from birthing llamas. 

Dang dude, git after it!  Be that someone. Just paying homage to the creator of the most popular thread of this forum, in a semi humorous way. Sorry if it CYA!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, prov163 said:

Every time I tell my wife I'm running to the hardwood dealer she reminds me we still have a mortgage.  Party pooper.  

I'm lucky i made it out of there with just cherry. There was a ton of 12/4 Honduran mahogany at like 14" wide that was just begging to be loaded into the back of my pickup. I've been wanting to explore Mahogany for a while now too.

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

I'm lucky i made it out of there with just cherry. There was a ton of 12/4 Honduran mahogany at like 14" wide that was just begging to be loaded into the back of my pickup. I've been wanting to explore Mahogany for a while now too.

Better snatch that up while you still can.  My sources tell me it ain't gonna get no cheaper no time soon.

3 hours ago, Cliff said:

I find myself wondering.. if my "cabinet" is 1/16th out of square.. how much trouble will that cause with my drawers?

Also, why can't I use pocket holes effectively? I've never gotten anything square with it. 

That would point to your mating surface not being 0° and 90°. I know you have a Wixey. Could you have zero'd it on a dip in the saw?

4 hours ago, JosephThomas said:

Yes but how much storage space you got? I could use another garage...

For genuine mahogany?  I'll find some space.

4 hours ago, Cliff said:

I find myself wondering.. if my "cabinet" is 1/16th out of square.. how much trouble will that cause with my drawers?

Also, why can't I use pocket holes effectively? I've never gotten anything square with it. 

1. Depends on how you plan to mount your drawers.  Since I assume you're using metal slides, you probably won't have too much trouble.  You could shim the slide out by 1/16" if you find that it's sticky.

2.  Because pocket screws suck.

2. (real answer) Be sure that your piece is perfectly seated in the jig before you start drilling, and be sure it doesn't shift on you as you drill.  Then you need to securely clamp both pieces before driving the screws.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JosephThomas said:

Yes but how much storage space you got? I could use another garage...

I could probably store a couple thousand BF of lumber. The trouble is i know I'm moving soon and people always assume moving my machines is going to be hard. They don't comprehend how much lumber i have.

Does this wood hording happen to everyone?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

That would point to your mating surface not being 0° and 90°. I know you have a Wixey. Could you have zero'd it on a dip in the saw?

Nothing at all in my shop is flat, so it's a continuing problem. I mean, the cast iron of the table saw is, but the wings aren't. The stamped steel is warped and I can't get them flat everywhere. Not surprisingly, a dead flat assembly table is in my future projects.

7 hours ago, Eric. said:

For genuine mahogany?  I'll find some space.

1. Depends on how you plan to mount your drawers.  Since I assume you're using metal slides, you probably won't have too much trouble.  You could shim the slide out by 1/16" if you find that it's sticky.

2.  Because pocket screws suck.

2. (real answer) Be sure that your piece is perfectly seated in the jig before you start drilling, and be sure it doesn't shift on you as you drill.  Then you need to securely clamp both pieces before driving the screws.

Actually your #2 was the real answer. But I just want to get my shop organized better so I can move around. So I use the "easiest" way. Personally I think I'll stick with dados from here on out. I thought I had them clamped well enough but I guess not. For the first 3 sides I used the bessey right angle clamps. Thought that would be enough but screws pushed the piece out. 

Thanks for the advice. Maybe someday I'll get those stupid things to work for me. I don't get how I can watch Jay Bates do 200 pocket holes for his miter station and it all looks perfect. 

30 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I could probably store a couple thousand BF of lumber. The trouble is i know I'm moving soon and people always assume moving my machines is going to be hard. They don't comprehend how much lumber i have.

Does this wood hording happen to everyone?

Naa. I tend to buy stuff for projects only. I don't always end up using it for the project I bought it for though. Still if I ran across 1000bf for mega-cheap, I'd buy it. I just don't have all the tools I want to really start hording any wood. 

5 minutes ago, Cliff said:

Nothing at all in my shop is flat, so it's a continuing problem. I mean, the cast iron of the table saw is, but the wings aren't. The stamped steel is warped and I can't get them flat everywhere. Not surprisingly, a dead flat assembly table is in my future projects.

Actually your #2 was the real answer. But I just want to get my shop organized better so I can move around. So I use the "easiest" way. Personally I think I'll stick with dados from here on out. I thought I had them clamped well enough but I guess not. For the first 3 sides I used the bessey right angle clamps. Thought that would be enough but screws pushed the piece out. 

Thanks for the advice. Maybe someday I'll get those stupid things to work for me. I don't get how I can watch Jay Bates do 200 pocket holes for his miter station and it all looks perfect. 

Naa. I tend to buy stuff for projects only. I don't always end up using it for the project I bought it for though. Still if I ran across 1000bf for mega-cheap, I'd buy it. I just don't have all the tools I want to really start hording any wood. 

I've stumbled across some decent reclaimed wood that i couldn't say no to. Around here redwood is really rare so when i heard my neighbor was tearing out a redwood fence i grabbed all the boards burned the bad ones and kept the good ones. I also have a bunch of white and red oak from steel shipments that I'm going to use for shop furniture.