Re-sawing veneers with hand tools. i.e. no band saw.

26 minutes ago, midtnwoodworker said:

This was kind of exhausting to read. Honestly who really cares what someone calls something?

We all probably have our own line of what is "handmade" , but again why does anyone care? 

Just go build what makes you happy, the way it makes you happy, and quit squabbling over what to call something. 

Good day. :)

And that's surely a suitable enough note to end on.  I'm certainly tired of the "conversation," if it can even be labeled as such.  Drivel.

But before I bow out ungracefully, I have to just say...

You CNC guys sure are defensive.  It's as if y'all know you're wrong. LOL

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, krtwood said:

It's just a router following a template.  The template happens to be in the computer.  How did it get in the computer?  Somebody made it.  A dovetail jig is basically a cnc machine.  A template attached to a piece so you can flush trim it to the exact size is basically a cnc machine. There is no art in keeping a bearing on a template.  The art was in creating the template in the first place.

When Marc did the Blacker House chair he was basically William Ng's cnc machine.  You could make an argument that an entirely cnc produced piece that a person designed themselves is more handmade than Marc's copy of William Ng's templates of the Greene's design.  

Not sure I would agree with your last sentence but that would probably be the view of younger generations who have lived in a world dominated by computers and smartphones. Here's the main difference in my opinion. If the CNC's computer hard drive crashes Marc can still make the chair. The programmer, not so much. 

1 hour ago, Eric. said:

Maybe if I was a retired old man who needed exercise or something it might be worth the effort.  But I think my desire to build as many projects as I can before I die would still trump it.

If you're lucky you get to be a retired old man?.  I'm not retired yet, but hit the big 60 next year. My efforts toward improving hand tool skills (in a hybrid setting) are first and foremost to improve the quality of my furniture. As you get older you'll find in most areas of life you steer toward quality more than quantity. That includes friendships, toys, and the investing of time. I think your workmanship is exceptional, Eric, but don't make fun of the old guy - you'll be him someday and we don't like it ?

1 hour ago, krtwood said:

You could make an argument that an entirely cnc produced piece that a person designed themselves is more handmade than Marc's copy of William Ng's templates of the Greene's design.  

Image result for everytime i think i'm out they pull me back in

That is absolute hogwash!  You're confusing programming software with building something.

Now creatively, you may have a point.  When someone builds a reproduction of another piece, certainly that's far less artistic than a person coming up with a unique new CNC design idea.  But we're talking about craftsmanship, which requires skills of the hand and eye, of which CNC requires very little to none...and I think any sensible person would agree.

17 minutes ago, prov163 said:

I think your workmanship is exceptional, Eric, but don't make fun of the old guy - you'll be him someday and we don't like it ?

No no, don't misunderstand.  I wasn't taking a crack at you old geezers :D...I was just saying if I had more time on my hands I might be more inclined to slow down a bit in the shop.  At present, I don't have that luxury.  My main goal - at this point in my life - when I head into a project is to complete it in a reasonable amount of time.  That's tough to do with hand tools from start to finish.  It would take you an entire day to mill the boards that a bandsaw, jointer and planer could have done in thirty minutes.

12 minutes ago, Eric. said:

That is absolute hogwash!  You're confusing programming software with building something.

Now creatively, you may have a point.  When someone builds a reproduction of another piece, certainly that's far less artistic than a person coming up with a unique new CNC design idea.  But we're talking about craftsmanship, which requires skills of the hand and eye, of which CNC requires very little to none...and I think any sensible person would agree.

No no, don't misunderstand.  I wasn't taking a crack at you old geezers :D...I was just saying if I had more time on my hands I might be more inclined to slow down a bit in the shop.  At present, I don't have that luxury.  My main goal - at this point in my life - when I head into a project is to complete it in a reasonable amount of time.  That's tough to do with hand tools from start to finish.  It would take you an entire day to mill the boards that a bandsaw, jointer and planer could have done in thirty minutes.

That's right you young whippersnapper. Remember old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill - LOL. 

I fully agree with your assessment of CNC. It's great technology but not craftsmanship in the most accepted definition of the word. 

Any moron can follow a router template or use a dovetail jig. I know it because I've done it many times. That's no craftsmanship and requires no skills wathsoever. Bye.

No way man, I screw up with the Leigh jig all the time. Im a capital M Moron !

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

44 minutes ago, Tom Cancelleri said:

Back in the day when I played video games 10 years ago. When someone would say they are quitting a game. It was customary to ask for said quitter's stuff.

So if I quit I have to turn in my Atari Pong console?  Guess I'm staying.