Exterior door

bradpotts

Looks like nice clean work, Brad. That's an attractive door.

Do you have your own one person business, or are you part of a bigger production shop?

I'm really looking forward to what you do with the stained glass. If you can, give us lots of detail on your technique.:)

Looks like nice clean work, Brad. That's an attractive door.

Do you have your own one person business, or are you part of a bigger production shop?

I'm really looking forward to what you do with the stained glass. If you can, give us lots of detail on your technique.

It is just a one man shop. I wouldn't trust anyone else enough to help me.

I will let you know how I do it, but hopefully it is not bad advice since I don't know what I am doing.

• Like 1

Just now, bradpotts said:

It is just a one man shop. I wouldn't trust anyone else enough to help me.

I will let you know how I do it, but hopefully it is not bad advice since I don't know what I am doing.

Sounds good to me! :)You have developed a super nice pattern to start with.

A helper to sweep, sand and hold the other end up does come in handy. You let them work on unseen faces and joints before they ever touch the visible work. 

Very nice looking door so far ! I've only done a tiny bit of stained glass, but my mother and sister did some beautiful pieces.

I like clear Lexcel caulk between glass and wood. It remains flexible, cleans up with mineral spirits and prevents any rattle. Far better stuff than silicone.

A helper to sweep, sand and hold the other end up does come in handy. You let them work on unseen faces and joints before they ever touch the visible work. 

Very nice looking door so far ! I've only done a tiny bit of stained glass, but my mother and sister did some beautiful pieces.

I like clear Lexcel caulk between glass and wood. It remains flexible, cleans up with mineral spirits and prevents any rattle. Far better stuff than silicone.

Thanks! I will have to look into the lexcel.

On 5/19/2017 at 8:06 PM, bradpotts said:

. I had a long talk to myself about doing things not because they were easy but because they were right.

An attitude that is becoming rarer by the day.  Good on you for doing the right thing.  Many (most?) people would've just kept pushing forward and hoping for the best.

I always enjoy your builds, brad.  Looking forward to seeing the finished product here.

• Like 1

Interesting project, to say the least.  We have an exterior door from the basement to the driveway.  It looks crappy and the previous owners seemed to break a pane to get inside-  put a piece of glass i n and used about four pounds of caulk instead of the wood trim to hold the glass.  Often thought of building a door to replace it.  Thanks and will review your thread and photos for reference.

• Like 1

Got everything I think I need to start. I made the boarder to make sure everything stayed square. Included are: glass cutter, cutting oil, solder, running pliers, lead shears, and lead nippers. b32b3e8db5b04139b3f29779b66afdbd.jpg the gladd661d7f4991e9feee45b0581d6ed71ac5.jpg the color looks different in the light. 2ccde085914cf8b3cb0cb77f0ce4b133.jpga2616a6f63e80e85480596b5a8ed66cc.jpg and the lead and I think it is zink? Boarder. 3d0155a87aac24d3663e1d924601552c.jpg I guess the lead needs to be stretched. The lady at the glass store did it for me. It was basically putting it in a clamp and pulling on it.

• Like 1

I used to do a ton of stained glass, and it looks like you are on your way.  I am a little concerned with using lead in an exterior door.  With lead there will be gaps between the glass and lead and depending on how well the door is protected  your Colorado weather might be a problem.   If its not too late look into copper foil.  Using copper the joints are sealed with solder. The downsides to copper are, your cuts have to be more accurate, it will change your overall dimensions (lead vs copper foil), it is slightly more time consuming, and you will use a LOT of solder.

I used to do a ton of stained glass, and it looks like you are on your way.  I am a little concerned with using lead in an exterior door.  With lead there will be gaps between the glass and lead and depending on how well the door is protected  your Colorado weather might be a problem.   If its not too late look into copper foil.  Using copper the joints are sealed with solder. The downsides to copper are, your cuts have to be more accurate, it will change your overall dimensions (lead vs copper foil), it is slightly more time consuming, and you will use a LOT of solder.

The stained glass is going to be sandwiched between two regular pieces of glass.

7 hours ago, bradpotts said:

The stained glass is going to be sandwiched between two regular pieces of glass.

Got it, should have thought of that before typing.  I have never done that, will condensation between the panes be a problem?  

The door would have been very cool. Adding the shop made stained glass is going to kick it into a totally different level of awesome. 

I really like that though out your builds, it seems like you are constantly pushing yourself and trying new and interesting things. Keep it up Brad.

• Like 2