Howdy from Boerne, TX

Rube

Howdy, everyone. I just realized that I have never come to this part of the forum and introduced myself. So my name is Ruben and I hail from Boerne, TX. I normally go by Rube, though. I started off my woodworking with all traditional hand tools because they were cheaper than buying power tools. I now have a shop with both traditional hand tools and power tools. I guess I'm am now a "hybrid woodworker". Imagine saying they last part in Dr. Evil's voice. I've only really worked on rebuilding my fence and a couple of other small projects like cutting boards, inlaid signs, and small boxes. I am now interested in stepping up my game and getting into cabinetry, built-ins, furniture, and ultimately marquetry.

My next project is building the Roubo Split-Top Workbench from the guild. I've got the Benchrafted parts and now I just need to get the lumber.

I guess that is all I have for now.

Rube

52 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

I vote for a The Rube Roubo journal. I don't think there's any going on right now. Getting kinda twitchy

When I get started on the project I'll get the journal going. I can probably start now with what I got and document the lumber purchase and everything. Thanks for the idea. 

2 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

That's the spirit !  It's fun to follow along with a project like a Roubo bench. Remember if you have questions there is a lot of experience to draw on here. Welcome to the Forum !

I'll definitely be picking everyone's brains here. This will be my first large project that will hopefully be the case for all future projects. 

On 9/16/2017 at 12:27 AM, Brendon_t said:

I don't think you said, what species are you using for the Rube-aux

Ha! Rube-aux. I like that. I plan on using maple for a majority of the top, base frame, and shelves. I will use mesquite for the dog hole strip, dog hole backing strip, end cap, stop gap, deadman, leg vise, and tail vise. Oh, and I guess the dogs will also be made of mesquite as well. I'll try to work this out. 

On 9/17/2017 at 9:47 AM, Cheeset202 said:

Welcome aboard, I am planning a roubo build as well, gotta finish the sculpted rocker first.  I probably won't start until December so you will have a good jump on me, look forward to your journal of the build.  Lots of great expertise on this site to help.

I want to work on the sculpted rocker after the Rube-aux. I can't wait to get to the lumber yard to pick up all the stuff I need.

9 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

Unless you are dead set on soft, you may want to go read some of the reasons others who built it with soft, wish they hadn't.  As a one time build, it would suck to have regrets after the fact.

I contacted Allen & Allen here in San Antonio and they said they only carry hard maple. If that's the case and all the other folks on here have used hard maple with no regrets, then I will probably go that router. I'll check out the other threads though and see what they had to say about soft maple. 

55 minutes ago, Rube said:

I contacted Allen & Allen here in San Antonio and they said they only carry hard maple. If that's the case and all the other folks on here have used hard maple with no regrets, then I will probably go that router. I'll check out the other threads though and see what they had to say about soft maple. 

It's definitely not all but I've read it enough times now to remember it. May want to check out a thread about "Alder too soft for workbench" or something close to that. Grab some popcorn and a neck brace as it got super off track many times but still good info from a lot of the primary sources who built them.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

If you're hell bent, I'll bring you some soft maple in exchange for some mesquite? 

I ain't got the mesquite yet. I'm heading to Faifer & Company down in Floresville either this weekend or next to pick out my stock. I wish I had some for trade but all I have is the grilling kind.