Rikon 10-326 Bandsaw First Impressions

LazarusDB

13 minutes ago, drzaius said:

I'll be interested to see what you think of the guides. I have a 10-325 & have been considering upgrading to the new guide. The old style can be quite fiddly to adjust.

This is my first bandsaw so nothing to compare to but I'm really liking the easy adjustment of the guides. I wouldn't call them one-handed but super easy to adjust.

Aaron, I have had the Rikon 18" for several years (before they went to blue, mines green) and it has been a great saw, still running the old guides, will probably upgrade to Carter guides when/if the stock guides wear out.  I resawed 9" wide bubinga on the first project with the saw, no problems.  Congrats on your new toy!

• Like 1

Congrats on the new saw!  I have one of the green 10-325's, and I like it.

14 hours ago, drzaius said:

I'll be interested to see what you think of the guides. I have a 10-325 & have been considering upgrading to the new guide. The old style can be quite fiddly to adjust.

I just upgraded to the new Rikon guides. I was going back and forth between the Carter guides and the Rikon upgrade....decided on the Rikon upgrade since it was on sale, and also because of some positive comments over on the Guild FB page.  It seems pretty good - very easy to install, and setting them was a piece of cake.  Much easier than the stock guides.

• Like 1

Very cool new tool.  And just like Richard it all rhymes.

The fence looks very similar to the my Laguna 1412 and it looks like you can also use the fence in a low profile by remounting it 90 degrees to the way it is, correct?  Thats the way the Laguna works.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Chet said:

Very cool new tool.  And just like Richard it all rhymes.

The fence looks very similar to the my Laguna 1412 and it looks like you can also use the fence in a low profile by remounting it 90 degrees to the way it is, correct?  Thats the way the Laguna works.

Yes Chet, the fence can mount to a low profile position and also has a knob for quick alignment to the blade.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I still need to calibrate the fence, but I got my saw last week and did a 5 minute blade change and tune up.  We just got a new puppy so I haven't had any shop time, but after a couple of REALLY quick test cuts, I think I'm going to dig this thing.  Smooth and straight.  It should be a huge upgrade for me.

• Like 1

That regular looking pattern in that resawn Walnut board looks like you have a tooth that hit something, or maybe an imperfect weld.  You might be able to find the proud spot on the blade, and deal with it some sort of way.

I'm most impressed with this bandsaw, and would have a hard time spending more money on any other 14", if I was in the market for a 14".

On 1/15/2018 at 9:07 PM, Tom King said:

That regular looking pattern in that resawn Walnut board looks like you have a tooth that hit something, or maybe an imperfect weld.  You might be able to find the proud spot on the blade, and deal with it some sort of way.

Thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to examine the blade.

• 2 weeks later...