China Cabinet

bradpotts

I'm relieved to hear that. Was thinking I really need to step up my bandsaw. They look great. 

If I was going to make them without a cnc, I would use a scroll saw. I have done it. It just take a lot more time. With the cnc I can spend my time doing other tasks rather than siting in front of a scroll saw all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I went back an forth deciding on weather to use dominos or a spine to attach the miter. I decide on a spline for the simple reason that dominos are boring. So I had to make a miter sled to cut the splines. Not the prettiest thing.
ff68cfc43b75ad3e9af5943e991b0199.jpg
Then it was off the scroll saw. I decided to use the scroll saw for two reasons. 1) I could use a reverse tooth blade to make cleanup way easier. 2) I didn’t want to switch the blades on my bandsaw.
Here is the pencil I use for dark woods. I know there are a lot of discussions about this.
d10a911dcb80a860fd9a057a0f5c2262.jpg
Once I got them cut out, I use tape to glue them together.
9c078417cc1883e5794b0d6ac4be15ca.jpg
I put glue on the miters and in the miter slot. Then I push the spline home. Then I use another piece of tape to pull my miters square.
a9ee33ee6c9b06384f8885e6e5a7e2ab.jpg
It is better to have your feet angled in rather than out, but try to get them to 90. It is more important to have square legs then a little gap in the front. As hard as we try for perfection, sometimes we are a little shy. The good news is, you can fix the gap. It is a lot harder to fix not square on the case. Here is what you do if you get that gap.
60c8a5249d091ebf36f90d95c52b16d1.jpg
You run a bead of ca glue down the gap and sand the sawdust into the gap. You continue to do this until the cap is filled.
263bbd0bbf652fb93f5854d00349b27c.jpg
ad259c97b38ef43e5df980e687a0d694.jpg
1e539324f61fa2cbf886e86cfe0154a0.jpg
There they are. 484c9543f2d6999b7a434442d4ab2749.jpg
I will work on the mounting blocks next.

• Like 2

coming along very nice Brad looks great, i've used CA glue as well for small repairs, nearly invisible fix. i have also made a paste filler using CA and fine sawdust for small repairs. any ideas on what finish you're going to use when its done?

I am going to spray a satin precat lacquer.

That white charcoal pencil is a great idea! (Says the guy whose has spent the past three months working on a walnut boat!)

It works great on walnut too. It doesn’t show up as good when you are going with the grain for some reason.

• Like 1

Bracket feet look great ! 

I have closed miter gaps by filling the gap w yellow glue & letting it soak in for a little while then rubbing the wood on either side with the  round shank of a screwdriver. Basically bending the moistened wood fibers in to fill the gap. I usually wipe off the excess glue with a clean wet rag and rub again. Works fine on maple, walnut, cherry etc. Maybe the wenge would splinter instead of bending ?

• Like 1

Bracket feet look great ! 
I have closed miter gaps by filling the gap w yellow glue & letting it soak in for a little while then rubbing the wood on either side with the  round shank of a screwdriver. Basically bending the moistened wood fibers in to fill the gap. I usually wipe off the excess glue with a clean wet rag and rub again. Works fine on maple, walnut, cherry etc. Maybe the wenge would splinter instead of bending ?

Thanks for the tip! I will have to remember that one.

On 3/24/2018 at 5:47 AM, bradpotts said:

for the simple reason that dominos are boring.

Just catching up on this a little.  You know Brad, if you had gone with the dominos it would have been faster and you could have taken the time you saved and played with the new planer.

The feet can out looking nice.

Just catching up on this a little.  You know Brad, if you had gone with the dominos it would have been faster and you could have taken the time you saved and played with the new planer.
The feet can out looking nice.

That is a good point. Hopefully the planer will cut down on my project time.