China Cabinet

bradpotts

Congrats Brad.. The archway looks very nice.  How big are the beams?  Your cabinet is looking good also.

The beams were 8” on the sides and 7” in the center. The supports are 5”. The length for the top was 116” and sides were 99” I used a locking miter bit to make them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Brad,  will this sit on the floor as shown? Lookin good bud!

No it will have s bottom but my client hasn’t decided what the want yet. The cabinet is going to go between their kitchen and living room. Their kitchen has base molding and their living room furniture has feet. So she is going back and forth on what she wants.

Looks good. How did you fix the front frames in place?

I haven’t installed them yet. Plan on doing that today,so I will show you how I am going to attach it.

Sanded the shelves and started on the face frames. I ended up remaking the frames because they were to small. They were originally 2” and I made them 3” because I am adding led lights and with the hinges that I am using, I needed more room. ac1a42a29c17a87b230141cda79f142d.jpg
I am using dominos to attach the face frame.
914d7dfe16b3985fe7edd4d49c79fede.jpg
I used pocket holes for the bottom one. I hardly ever use it and spent about 15 minutes remaining how and drilled a hole through it.
b69d6046f78a78b6d76a6149235e435f.jpg
I also cut a miter for the led lights that I am going to put in. a0468d8a7436707622d146c3833e4910.jpg86bab25b519d31b83c0476c40b3e3be5.jpg

• Like 1

Don't feel bad my first Kreg jig is the original version 30+ years old. It has a body of solid sand cast aluminum. That's the only reason it only has slight divots.  I learned to tighten the hell out of that set screw. That leads to fast wear on the Allen wrenches & set screws.

The new Master jig set with the vac attachment sure makes things easier. You used to need to constantly pull the bit out to clear the shavings. 

Using a pocket screw next to a Domino in a location that is hard to clamp pulls the joint tight while the glue dries. Once the glue is dry I have removed the screw sometimes. I have also used a pocket screw to hold one end of a Domino in place so that the joint  can be disassembled  for delivery.

• Like 1

Nice fitting inset doors, they can be so fussy to hang. 

Do you like those Jessem feed rollers? I read a complaint they don't work well with narrow stock, which is one of the reasons I was interested in them.

I actually love them. They are easy to move out of the way and set up. I could see how they could get in the way for really small stock but since the stock is being pushed down and pulled against you could use a push stick. When I bought them I thought there was a spring that kept pressure on the wheels but that is not the case, so you have to adjust them to different thickness.

I usually dread hanging inset doors, but these were actually really easy. The main reason being that the cabinet was big enough for me to crawl behind and drill and screw the hinges in while the door was closed and spaced.