Woodworking shops at rv parks

Dmatt

Hi I am a canadian snowbird in the yuma az area for 2 months this winter.  I am not a golfer and am having troube finding things to do,  that I am interested in.   Has anyone here gone to a snowbird rv park that had a woodworking shop?   If so what type of equipment, projects,  costs etc.   We would be lookingg for next winter and prefer dryer climates but would consider Texas Arizona or California.   I have thought that it would be a great way to introduce myself to furniture making,  and would be willing to pay for the use of the equipment and instruction if available.

You might look into community colleges in the areas you're interested in visiting. I'm in the Santa Fe NM area and am involved with SFCC's Fine Woodworking program. We have a number of "just passing through" students that take courses. I would imagine other schools do, as well.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mick S said:

You might look into community colleges in the areas you're interested in visiting. I'm in the Santa Fe NM area and am involved with SFCC's Fine Woodworking program. We have a number of "just passing through" students that take courses. I would imagine other schools do, as well.

Mick, what do you guys do in the program?

Thanks everyone, some great sugestions here.  Dylder thank you for the info on Tower Point Rv park I  had not found it in my park search.  Yesterday we visited 3 parks in Yuma Az that have woodworking shops on their website.

DelPueblo rv park has a woodcarving shop.

Country Roads rv village was our second shop and see met the shop monitor and had a tour.... mostly delta equipment well equipped.   While there there was a " class" on making a segmented bowl.  Looked to me to be great shop/club to spend a couple of winter months at.

Our 3rd stop was Sun Vista rv park and the wood shop had already closed for the day,  however a quick look though the window..... several lathes a couple of cabinet saws planer joiner sanders etc.

2 hours ago, Dmatt said:

Thanks everyone, some great sugestions here.  Dylder thank you for the info on Tower Point Rv park I  had not found it in my park search.  Yesterday we visited 3 parks in Yuma Az that have woodworking shops on their website.

DelPueblo rv park has a woodcarving shop.

Country Roads rv village was our second shop and see met the shop monitor and had a tour.... mostly delta equipment well equipped.   While there there was a " class" on making a segmented bowl.  Looked to me to be great shop/club to spend a couple of winter months at.

Our 3rd stop was Sun Vista rv park and the wood shop had already closed for the day,  however a quick look though the window..... several lathes a couple of cabinet saws planer joiner sanders etc.

This is great info please continue to share what you find out there I didn't realize this was a thing.

Anyone know if Florida has any Rv/retirement parks with wood shops like these?

• Like 1

We have a community shop here in Northern VA, but it's only open Tuesday evenings and all day Saturday. Costs $8-13 (x2 if you don't live here).  I think they would open more but they need a mentor to sit in there to keep it open. Maybe when the kids get older I'll try to do it.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I have found RV parks in AZ with woodshops:

Monte Vista. Mesa Spirit and maybe Viewpoint. Near Tucson Voyager RV Resort.

These are Encore parks that I have visited through my Thousand Trails membership but you don't need to be a member. I'd like to hear of others.

Jonathan

Edited by Jonathan Smith
Add a word
  • Like 1