Phone dust

collinb

Anyone else have a problem with sawdust getting into the phone's connector? (For me it's micro-USB. But I suspect Apple connectors are equally vulnerable.)

I must start leaving my phone in the house. Even in my pocket is too much dust & stuff. Have to clean it out with a needle every couple of days.

Oh, the trials of modern society. What shall I do?

I haven't had any real issues with sawdust in my iphone connector, but have worried about it. Interestingly, I have found that my phone collects the same amount of dust whether it is in my pocket or out in the open. I have a small tupperware like container that I put it in when I am generating a lot of sawdust. That way I can still quickly access it if needed, and it is still in bluetooth range.

Sounds like there’s too much dust in the air in your shop. I set my phone on my small bandsaw table  well I’m in the shop working and have done so for years without issue.  The table makes a nice ringing amplifier :-)

You could also simply lay a towel over it which is what I do for my camera when I have it in the shop when I’m actively working.

40 minutes ago, Immortan D said:

I used to buy an OtterBox Defender case for each and every one of my phones. Those are rugged cases, they will protect the input jacks as well.

This.  My shop is quite dusty, but my phone has never had an issue.  It also got dropped into a bowl of water one time and was fine.  Otterbox - worth the money...

I haven't had this problem but I tend to put my phone in my pocket with the micro-usb port down. Maybe that will help?

2 hours ago, Keggers said:

I lay my phone on my workbench when I'm in the shop. It does have an Otter Box so I guess that has kept me from having any

There are cases with a flap to cover the usb port.