Bosch Glide Mitersaw users ?

wdwerker

18 hours ago, wdwerker said:

Responses like this are a big part about what makes this site so wonderful.  Anyone who has pictures to share of the things mentioned it will be very helpful.  It's nice to be on the other side of a topic for a change. 

You want to borrow mine for a few weeks to try it out? i have it on a portable base.

Here's a few pics of my setup.  This first pic shows just how compact the glide is.  The saw next to it is my old Craftsman 10" non slider.  

5aeb3cae85ab3_2017-09-1518_48_37.thumb.jpg.0732213aa632c7908a80a2de450e8bc9.jpg

This pic was the amount of dust left behind on the first cut I made.  It was about a 4" piece of 5/8" sheathing.  Do that a few times and you've got quite a bit of dust.

5aeb3d1dd1da5_2017-09-1518_53_56.thumb.jpg.084b10fc20cfba264cf7cdf24f8fe75c.jpg

This is my attempt to contain the dust a bit.  I used cardboard to build a prototype thinking I could make this out of acrylic if it worked.  It has helped but not a ton.  I really need to make a hood for it and find a way to get my bigger DC attached.

5aeb3d1363fd9_2017-11-1518_22.53-1.thumb.jpg.9ea2837cb53536cd218d151ea1978a6e.jpg

2 hours ago, Immortan D said:

I have the 220v Euro version, came with a better hold down clamp, very easy to set as it has two screws, and dual laser guides

That's the style of hold down i had on the dewalt and i find it inferior to the US hold down on the bosch. Setting the screw once and then using it like a hold fast is just so dang fast and handy, there is no sitting and twisting a screw for 2 seconds to get it set.

2 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

That's the style of hold down i had on the dewalt and i find it inferior to the US hold down on the bosch. Setting the screw once and then using it like a hold fast is just so dang fast and handy, there is no sitting and twisting a screw for 2 seconds to get it set.

I'd rather not strike a steel rod into an aluminum hole repeatedly, but YMMV.

36 minutes ago, Immortan D said:

I'd rather not strike a steel rod into an aluminum hole repeatedly, but YMMV.

Valid concern I'll check when i get home but i imagine that they have a steel bushing in them. Even the screw action on aluminum would tear the hole up fast. I did think about it. That being said from the amount I've used it there hasn't been any wear. I'd be willing to be the bushings in the arm will wear out of the motor will give up the blue smoke before the hold down hole wears out.

I'm also in the market for a new miter saw. I think I'll go 12" this time and after watching the Bosch video I'm really liking this saw. I've been using a 10" sliding Makita for years and the dust collection on my saw is terrible. It makes more dust than any other machine in my shop. I haven't checked on the arbor size of the 12" Bosch but I'm hoping it's 1".

I found this link on youtube concerning a test on dust collection done by Woodworkers Journal. The Bosch didn't fair so well, so I'm now re-thinking my buying choices.

I'm seriously thinking of buying the 12" version. I keep wondering if Bosch is going to release a new version. Hasn't this model been around for close to 8 years? Isn't it strange that they haven't released a new version in so long? Maybe I'm used to Dewalt. I was hoping they would add a laser like the European version  and a better hold down.

21 hours ago, Keggers said:

found this link on youtube concerning a test on dust collection done by Woodworkers Journal. The Bosch didn't fair so well, so I'm now re-thinking my buying choices.

The guys said at the beginning they'd be using the same blade on all saws for the test, but the Bosch footage where dust flies all over the place shows a different blade. Not saying dust collection is any good, just found that strange.

17 minutes ago, kyokahn said:

The guys said at the beginning they'd be using the same blade on all saws for the test, but the Bosch footage where dust flies all over the place shows a different blade. Not saying dust collection is any good, just found that strange.

I noticed that too.

I just put a freshly sharpened Dimar 88 tooth (maybe 90) blade  on mine that I was given.  The cut is butter smooth (a bit slower on the feed) and it seems to direct the dust better into the chute.  A worth while upgrade IMO.  This blade is a full kerf as opposed to the thin kerf that comes with the saw.  The stock blade isn't "bad", it's just the Dimar is better.

40 minutes ago, Chet said:

I think that we tend to sometimes worry about the wrong things when purchasing a new tool.  Bandsaws and miter saws in general just aren't the best at dust collection.  I would rather have a good performing tool and have to do some clean up at the end of the day then to be disappointed with a purchase for years just because it did a little better on dust collection.  There are to many variables involved in this one aspect of the purchase.  How it was tested for DC versus how you us it,  What task were they doing to test it versus how you want to use it in your work flow, what were they collecting the dust with versus what you will be doing to collect.

We need to be aware of dust and our health.  We would all like to have well performing cyclones with 8 inch ducting that will suck the paint of the walls, but for most hobbyist it may not be in the budget.  If you make a decision based on DC you may end up with the best DC you can get, which is no dust at all because you are unhappy with the performance so you aren't using the tool.

I agree.

11 hours ago, Chet said:

I think that we tend to sometimes worry about the wrong things when purchasing a new tool.  Bandsaws and miter saws in general just aren't the best at dust collection.

I wheel mine outside for most use - not a good option in winter ;-)

On 5/3/2018 at 4:25 PM, Keggers said:

I'm also in the market for a new miter saw. I think I'll go 12" this time

+1 on 12" capacity.  I really like that I can cut through 4 inch thick material.

For dust collection I have been pretty happy with the Rouseau 5000 hood.  But it negates any advantage of the small foot print of the Bosch.

1 hour ago, Mark J said:

+1 on 12" capacity.  I really like that I can cut through 4 inch thick material.

For dust collection I have been pretty happy with the Rouseau 5000 hood.  But it negates any advantage of the small foot print of the Bosch.

I understand Mark you do a lot of turning and often encounter thick material. For the average homeowner and woodworker how often do you max out the capacity of your mitersaw? How often when you max out the capacity are you making cuts that need to be perfectly accurate?

I went 10" so i share blades with the table saw if i needed.

I'm curious because I've never ran into this situation. For cutting 4x4s for framing stuff I've found a circular saw and a framing square to be faster easier and as accurate as i need it to be.

All good points.  I am addicted to turning so cutting through thick stuff is a need for me. 

I do like that I can cut all the way through a 4 x 4 without any particular set up, but as you point out that isn't a frequent need for most, and there are other ways.  

Being able to interchange blades is a plus.  Being able to cut thick is a plus.  You pays your money and you takes your choice.

On 5/6/2018 at 12:06 PM, Chet said:

I think that we tend to sometimes worry about the wrong things when purchasing a new tool.  Bandsaws and miter saws in general just aren't the best at dust collection.  I would rather have a good performing tool and have to do some clean up at the end of the day then to be disappointed with a purchase for years just because it did a little better on dust collection.  There are to many variables involved in this one aspect of the purchase.  How it was tested for DC versus how you us it,  What task were they doing to test it versus how you want to use it in your work flow, what were they collecting the dust with versus what you will be doing to collect.

We need to be aware of dust and our health.  We would all like to have well performing cyclones with 8 inch ducting that will suck the paint of the walls, but for most hobbyist it may not be in the budget.  If you make a decision based on DC you may end up with the best DC you can get, which is no dust at all because you are unhappy with the performance so you aren't using the tool.

I agree with what you are saying. I wasn't inferring that someone should base their purchasing decision solely on dust collection only. I think it's a given that everyone wants a miter saw to cut perfect 90's and 45's.  I was only offering information concerning the dust collection based on a study someone did. Right now, my miter saw creates more dust than any other tool in my shop and it's important to ME to find one that has a better dust collection design.  It's the only tool I have that isn't connected to my cyclone. Connecting it to the cyclone would be difficult as this point. I have a shop vac connected my miter saw t and it still creates lots of dust so if I can find a miter saw that meets MY criteria then that's the way I'll go.

32 minutes ago, Keggers said:

I was only offering information concerning the dust collection based on a study someone did.

I should of stated that, I also had seen this review and I can't remember if it was before or after I purchased my Bosch.  Mine is hooked up to my CT and also a hood that was designed for my previous miter saw and  I think that i get better DC then portrayed in the mentioned review. 

I'm considering replacing my Dewalt  12" SCMS with a wall hugging mitersaw. That extra depth eats into the aisle space in front of the machine. Anyone have any input as to the quality & accuracy of the Bosch ?  The Kapex doesn't seem worth the $$$ to me. This saw will live in the shop 99% of the time, 100% if I keep the Dewalt around for the rare jobsite use. It's been years since I've heard the Bosch be discussed .

Not to further muddy the waters, but about 4 months ago, I purchased the Delta Cruzer 12”. Axial glide similar to the Bosch, and I got it on sale for $350. It has been an excellent saw to date with zero issues. I think that the price has risen significantly, but still lower than the Bosch and it serves the same space saving purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Reference their size...

Comparing the specs on the 10 inch glide vs. the 12 inch glide, they seem almost identical in footprint (32.3 x 26.5) and (32 x 26.5)   The 12 inch is 7 inches taller.  There is only a one pound difference between the two...the 12 inch is 65 pounds vs. the 10 inch's 64.  Can that be right? 

CPO sells refurbished models on Ebay, and since Ebay runs these 15-20% off sales regularly now, I think I might just pick one of these up sooner rather than later.  Last week or the week before, I ran the math and the 10 inch model could be had for under $400...but if the 12 inch isn't THAT much bigger, then I might just go that route. 

• Like 1